Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What course to do before graduate law?

Options
  • 17-10-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone,
    Firstly, I'm in 6th year, and I really want to become a soicitor some day. Secondly, I don't do a language and I live in Limerick so really want to attend UL next year. Thirdly, no, I don't want to go to LIT because I think it's just depressing! Penultimatley, I'm not going to get the 440 points currently required to gain enterance to Law Plus. Finaly, (and here comes my question) What level 8 course would be best to complete before applying for a place in the Graduate Law course? Here are some I was considering and also there points requirements;

Business Studies (385)
    Economics & Sociology (330)
    Politics & International Relations (340)
    Public Administration (330)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'v heard of people doing all of the above and then doing law after.

If I were you I'd look at all the subjects on those courses. Find out what books one must read/type of stuff you must know and research it. Whichever you find most interesting - do that. Your grade will be far more important than the name of the course, so make sure you like it enough to study it.

Another friend of mine who went on to do grad law did a Media degree, so the name of the course really doesn't seem to matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

You don't have to have a law degree to be able to qualify as a solicitor.

You just need any level 8 degree to be accepted in to blackhall place, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Any of the first three you've mentioned should be fine. Although technically any Level 8 honours degree suffices to allow you sit the FE-1s, on a practical level it might not be a bad idea to think about whether you want to be a commercial / criminal / general practice lawyer and pick a degree with some conection to your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Business studies hands down. Sociology wouldn't be much use unless you end up doing criminology, Politics is more about rights and human rights. With Business you will have the business skills to be able to function as a solicitor also it is the best back up plan if you don't like graduate Law or you have a change of heart.

Advertisement