Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeview question

Options
  • 17-10-2010 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Would some kind soul tell me a bit about freeview and what is required in terms of hardware 7 dish if such be the case.
    Currently I have Sky downstairs but thought maybe I could have telly upstairs as well without paying sky more.
    Is this possible?

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well the first thing to know (important if shopping for TVs/boxes etc) is what you're looking for is FreeSAT - FreeVIEW is UK only and transmitted over terrestrial, whereas FreeSAT is obviously enough, over satellite :) It's a common misunderstanding though!

So, assuming you have a standard Sky box, you'll need what's called a Quad LNB fitted to the dish which will give you up to 4 output feeds from it - 1 for each box, or 2 per box if you go for a FreeSat equivalent to Sky+/HD (which I would if I were you). If though you already have Sky+/HD then you'll already also have the Quad LNB.

Then all you need is to run the cables from the dish to wherever you want them, and get FreeSat boxes (others here will give you recommendations) for each end point.

It's actually something I'm considering doing myself - Sky just isn't worth it anymore.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

This is what you need http://satellite.ie/acatalog/Freesat_and_Free_to_Air_receivers.html and if you dont have one already you will need one of these http://satellite.ie/acatalog/LNB_Quad__for_Sky_Minidish.html

Advertisement