Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dabs.ie return policy

Options
  • 17-10-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I am trying to return a faulty product under warranty to dabs.ie and the website tells me I am to cover all shipping because I bought the product over 6 months ago.

Are they allowed to do this? There is a checkbox where I can either agree or disagree with it. Should I state I am not using their warranty, only my statutory rights and want the shipping covered?

Another thing, ideally I would receive a refund, then my next option would be a new product, the last resort would be to get the product fixed. Am I reasonable to demand this, I mean, does my preference matter at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

in relation to post costs being covered, im not 100% sure. i wouldn't be too happy myself to pay for costs, can you drop it in to them? do they have a collection point?

with refund,repair and replacement, its usually repair first ; within reasonable time

if not, then replacement, and if replacement cant be fulfilled then id look at refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

selekta wrote: »
    I am trying to return a faulty product under warranty to dabs.ie and the website tells me I am to cover all shipping because I bought the product over 6 months ago.

Are they allowed to do this? There is a checkbox where I can either agree or disagree with it. Should I state I am not using their warranty, only my statutory rights and want the shipping covered?

Another thing, ideally I would receive a refund, then my next option would be a new product, the last resort would be to get the product fixed. Am I reasonable to demand this, I mean, does my preference matter at all?

I had a Benq monitor from Dabs, which developed a faulty power-switch just inside the two-year guarantee period. Benq offer an on-site-exchange service, so fortunately I didn't have to pay to send it anywhere, least of all to Dabs.

You should see if the manufacturer of your particular product does the same as Benq.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Dabs pick up from you with a courier once you organise the RMA on their website. They do allow you to ship it yourself if you want, but why would you want to. This is the way it has always worked for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭selekta

Here's what their website says:
    All warranty returns will be at the customer's expense unless goods developed a fault within 6 months.

Does that mean the courier will charge me for shipping? I am not too happy with that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Here's what their website says:

Does that mean the courier will charge me for shipping? I am not too happy with that.

They never charged me, so you should contact Dabs tomorrow and clarify.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    They never charged me, so you should contact Dabs tomorrow and clarify.

Thanks, will do that.

I checked with the manufacturer, I can return directly but I have to pay shipping charges. I am not too happy with that, as you can guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm pretty sure that there is European legislation stating that any return of faulty goods has to be covered by the retailer. I don't have the reference to hand, so if anyone could verify, that would be great.

You could end up paying for the initial return, but once the fault has been established, the retailer should refund you the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

Q8 states:
    Under the Distance Selling Regulations 2001, where a good is faulty the consumer should not be at a loss for the costs of returning the faulty good to the company.

and

If after going through the complaints process, the company refuse to refund you this money, you may wish to proceed through the Small Claims Court if the website is based in Ireland. You should also inform the National Consumer Agency, who can follow up with the trader.

Tell Dabs to cover the cost of the return, or you'll bring them to the Small Claims Court. Their 6 month policy is nonsense, it has no basis in law, and in fact it actually contravenes the law.

This is the kind of information I hoped for, thank you.

Advertisement