Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

compressor problem

Options
  • 17-10-2010 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

Ive recently added a BSS compressor to my bass rig, It sounds great, but ive lost a lot of volume from the speaker as a result.. Im certainly not an expert at using them by the way. Im running it from the effects loop on the amp also.

On the back of the compressor there are a series of small screws with individual letters, and two of them are connected with a small copper wire. I imagine this is some sort of grounding device. Could the connecting wire have any effect on output volume from the compressor?

Also would it be better to run it after the effects chain and before the preamp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

We'd need to know the make and model of your amp, and all of your effects. Depending on the amp, the effects loop may not be the appropriate place to connect a line level device ( I don't think BSS make any guitar pedals?). But we won't know until we check the specs of your amp.

Given that it's BSS, I would imagine that the manual would have a very readable guide on how to set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

by definition compressors reduce level, but should have a control called "makeup gain" or even just "output gain" that lets you make up for this. don't be afraid to whack up this setting to compensate for loss of volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Does the volume drop when the compressor is in bypass mode ?

You are going from amp insert send to compressor input then compressor out to return ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

sorry, a bit more detail.

The Head is a David Eden WT-300, the cab is an Ampeg BSE.

I run the effects as a chain (not using the effects loop) the order is

MXR blowtorch - EHX Microsynth - Tech 21 Sansamp.

The guitars are a stingray and a precision.

Ive been running the comp from the Effects loop as described paul. When i put it in bypass, the volume stay low. When i disconnect it from the loop the volume jumps.

And it's definitely going from send to in , from out to return ?

• Advertisement

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    And it's definitely going from send to in , from out to return ?

100%

Using what sort of cables and connectors ?

the effects chain is connected using normal enough cables... - which is fine without the comp.

The comp is connected using a male -> mono and a female -> mono.. they are neutrik cables

im just reading that the effects loop on that amp is pre-eq. Would that have any bearing?

Can you connect the input cable to the output cable, bypassing the comp entirely, but using the loop ?

• Advertisement

i can try that, will that check if the effects loop is what is dropping the volume?

novarock wrote: »
    i can try that, will that check if the effects loop is what is dropping the volume?

Yes it will check if the loop, including cables, is the issue.
    If that works ok then it's the compressor .

Ok, so If i run the compressor as the last unit in the effects chain it seems to be fine, must be an issue with the effects loop on the amp..

It has a hell of a buzz on it unfortunately... but cheers for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

dodgey cable I bet...

studiorat wrote: »
    dodgey cable I bet...

it was a dodgy cable, the two cable that i got from musicmaker were both dodgy.. Ive got an XLR - XLR coming from the sansamp into the compressor. Sounding great so far, has really evened out the bottom and top ends of the tone... cheers guys.

Advertisement