Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Y: The Last Man

Options
  • 17-10-2010 5:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭

Finally finished this and it has just become the best comic I ever read. Actually, it's the best story i've ever read!

Just wondering if there were any other Y fans out there and what did you think of it?

I was avoiding forums/sites about it untill now as I didn't want to read any spoilers. Really hope they do a proper job of the film/tv series.

Found out a fan made film is nearly finished (According to it's facebook page). You can watch the trailer in the link below. Has great potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa0tXYumWEU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Here's one!
    I'm collecting the deluxe hardback books, 4th one is out really soon and then only one left after that which will be out sometime next year (I know the run has finished but gonna get them all in hardback).
    Great graphic novel.

Whatever they do, no Shia LeBeouf as Yorick!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm mad to get the delux hardback editions. Where did you buy them? How much?

I dunno, I can actually see Shia playing him. Movie company wants to squeeze it all into 1 movie (would be a disaster trying to tell that story in one go!) Director (Ithink) wants to make a trilogy (better idea) but the best idea floating around is a HBO series. Would be fantastic.

So....
    what caused the plague?????!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

I've got the first three, regular volumes before prioritising books in my collection led to the other volumes disappearing around the same time the deluxe hardcovers were introduced.

Y: The Last Man, Preacher and 100 Bullets would all be better served as a TV series in my opinion. You'd think film executives would want to leap onto a series of films with a majority female cast if only so they could spin it toward men and women.

Preacher, 100 bullets and the walking dead are next on my list (Don't know which one to start first)

Ya, they could make a great series out of it. The story is there for them. I'm actually looking forward to that fan made film, even tho its only 30 minutes long haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I'm mad to get the deluxe hardback editions. Where did you buy them? How much?
    Got them from www.bookdepository.co.uk, they've been around €16-25 each.

• Advertisement

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Got them from www.bookdepository.co.uk, they've been around €16-25 each.

Thanks man, this really deserves to be bought and placed in the book shelf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Did no one else hate the ending though? I just felt so cheated. To me it felt the ending was as bad as if they had ended with 'and then he woke up and it was all a dream'.

But apart from that it's just a brilliant brilliant series. It could have been just one issue shorter maybe. I think I would have preferred to been left hanging.

Eebs, I actually felt like that as well but the more I was thinking about it, I realisedI had been more connected to this story than any other comic. I mean the part where
    Y euthanized Amp
    . That was a tough moment to read. They way the characters were built up all the way through, no way could they reflect this in 1 film!
    I just wanna know how the plague started but I guess it's kinda good how the let you think of how.

Also, was 355's real name
    Peace?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Eebs wrote: »
    Did no one else hate the ending though? I just felt so cheated. To me it felt the ending was as bad as if they had ended with 'and then he woke up and it was all a dream'.

Between the ending to Y: The Last Man and Pride Of Baghdad, I went off Brian K Vaughan very quickly and haven't felt any urge to try other stuff of his since.

I found two aspects of the ending infuriating:
    firstly the handwavey approach to explaining the plague (offering a whole bunch of possibilities but even the most probable one being composed mostly of Total Bollocks rather than Even Remotely Plausible Science-Fictional Concept) and secondly the conclusion to Alter's storyline...her obsession with Yorick made no sense with the explanation she gave, and as a result reduced an already-gimmicky-feeling character death to little more than a "hmm, writer's handbook says I have to kill someone off near the end to make it visceral or something" moment.

I really liked the epilogue issue, but that final storyline left an absolutely foul taste in my mouth, metaphorically speaking. Not quite as bad as some examples of Grant Morrison's total inability to write a story with a proper ending, mind you, but then that's not saying much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tball1

cool thread

• Advertisement

My girlfriend and I were reading it at the same time and I finished a few days before her and I told her to stop before the end. Sometimes a cliff hanger is better then a bad ending.

Hmm. That makes me wonder, has anyone written any fan alternative endings? That would be really cool actually.

Did anyone actually get to meet Pia when she was in Ireland many moons ago btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Paul P Byrne

Just picked up volume 4 in the hard back edition, cant wait to read this. Definitely one of the best series of the last ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Any of you guys who've read this want to sell your collection? I'm interested in picking up all 10

rgiller wrote: »
    Any of you guys who've read this want to sell your collection? I'm interested in picking up all 10

They're cheap as chips from bookdepository.co.uk at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PlaybookTips

Eebs wrote: »
    They're cheap as chips from bookdepository.co.uk at the moment.
    not cheap as u think man :rolleyes:

Well when I bought them first they cost a whole heap more.

Worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I read them last year, picked up one a month as a little payday treat to myself. Great stuff.

Just started The Walking Dead now.

giftgrub wrote: »
    I read them last year, picked up one a month as a little payday treat to myself. Great stuff.

Just started The Walking Dead now.

How is the Walking Dead going for ya? Was gonna start it but enjoying the tv series and don't want the story wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jokero

Vaughan is a fantastic writer, but jeezus can he make a pigs ear of an ending. The ending he pulled out his bum for the final issue of Ex Machina a couple of months ago beggars belief, and while the actual last issue/epilogue of Y was quite good, the lead up was king-hell depressing and really did not sit with the overall good-humoured, irreverent tone of the series. Still though, a terrific piece of work, and well worth a read. Anyone read Runaways? Have yet to try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I haven't made up my mind on this yet. It's basically a bunch of unlikely situations happening back to back that gives the author an excuse to send Yorick and his mates around the world. I don't think it's as good as I thought it would be. Sure Yorick's a smartass with some funny lines but I feel like the premise is so strong that the story could have been so much more interesting. Haven't read the hardcover book 5 yet (as it's not out). I'll get it since I have the others but looking forward more to the next walking dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

I really liked Y - I had no preconceptions when I started reading as I hadn't heard anything about it, and I ended up really enjoying it.
    jokero wrote: »
    Still though, a terrific piece of work, and well worth a read. Anyone read Runaways? Have yet to try that.

I've just read the first volume of Runaways - where I think it was planned to end, and I really enjoyed that too. If you liked Y, I'd recommend it, for sure.

I guess whether people like Vaughan, like a lot of writers, is up to personal taste. A bunch of people I know don't tend to connect with his stuff - but it suits me just fine! I'd like to read more of his stuff than just Y & Runaways...

Must look into Runaways. The fan made film of Y is gonna be available for download in the next few weeks. There is a trailer on youtube, looks ok for a fan made anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

Ah, cool! I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for that.

Yeah, I liked Vaughan's Runaways - read Vol 1 which appeared to be #1-18, all Vaughan. I know that Joss Whedon was supposed to have taken it over for awhile later on, but I don't know much about it beyond what I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Here's one!
    I'm collecting the deluxe hardback books, 4th one is out really soon and then only one left after that which will be out sometime next year (I know the run has finished but gonna get them all in hardback).
    Great graphic novel.

Whatever they do, no Shia LeBeouf as Yorick!

The fourth one IS out and I have it, the 5th and final deluxe one is out in May! Can't bloody. Wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 joeyshabadoo

What a series. May just revisit it soon. A TV series would be great. There is so many pop culture references throughout it. Have being trying to get my girlfriend to try it but she's having none of it. She still has this thing about comics being for little boys. Ah well, her loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

I thoroughly enjoyed this series, I used to collect the TPBs along with 100 Bullets and Vaughan's other series Ex Machina. Ex Machina and Y: The Last Man really do suck you in emotionally--Vaughan is one of the best character writers out there.

Unfortunately, despite being a master of character writing his plotting tends to fall apart as his series go on; his cool concepts seem to be more macguffins than something that he spends a lot of time developing.

I really love his books though.

It's finally here, the fan made film of Y: The Last Man!

http://www.vimeo.com/22730317

Havn't watched it yet but looking forward to it!

Advertisement