Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from GAA

Options
  • 16-10-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

i called a guy on the above a "pillock". I got banned for 7 days. I accept the ban, but the length of time is ridiculous. There is no reference or exemplar given to me showing how this misdemeanour fits into the scheme of things. It's as if somebody though of a number off the top of there head. This is quite ridiculous, there has to be some standardising of bans were i can compare mine against others, and 7 days is shocking.

oh, and may i add. The mod is not very professional. I asked him/her this very same question, did not even acknowledge my PM, never mind give me an answer/reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

kboc wrote: »
    There is no reference or exemplar given to me showing how this misdemeanour fits into the scheme of things. It's as if somebody though of a number off the top of there head.

This is something we are currently looking at. Given the number of possible ways a user can earn themselves a ban it is not an easy task to standardize. At present, the system is that the Mods/CMods decide the length of bans. 1 week is not excessive, but it is enough of a deterrent to make the user think twice before repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

I am not happy and would like a CMod or Admin to look at it. This arguement for the length of the ban does not make any sense. Would hold no water on a moral or legal level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Em, I am an Admin. I have looked at it. I gave you an opinion.
    If you want to call a CMod in to look at it, please go ahead.

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Em, I am an Admin. I have looked at it. I gave you an opinion.
    If you want to call a CMod in to look at it, please go ahead.

Well my 7 days will be u at this rate? How do i get the attention of a Cmod or somebody else?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm also an admin, and I have no problem with the length of the ban you were given. 7 days is a normal enough ban for abusing other posters and I see no reason to overturn the ban.

• Advertisement

what a load of ****. There is no transparency or recourse here. This dispute is taken to an area where only Admin/CMods/Mods have access to. Where is the democracy in this. Absolutly crap behavioural managment, if this was a business or organisation you would be in court long ago. The communists were less secretive than this.

I am still not happy, so who do I speak to now?

At this rate i'll be speaking to the boy on the Matt Copper show from boards.ie. I work till 3 each day, so I have plenty of time to invest in this dispute.

You don't speak to anyone else. Two admins have ruled on this already, that's as far as the process goes. As stated in the big post above, an Admin's decision is final.

I should point out that the dispute resolution takes place in an thread that you have access to. Who else would you want to get involved?

Not good enough, sub standard managment. What a croc of shiite

Would you care to elaborate on what you feel is sub-standard? And you never answered my question about who else you think should have access here.

The DRF is a relatively new concept and there may be ways we can change or improve it, so I really am interested in what you have to say about it.

get a ready recknor or standardised table of example offences that have suggested bans from each category of misdeamour, so therefore users can see this. This way i don't feel somebody is randomly issuing bans and users can see the whole process is transparent.

For such a high profile web site and chat room, which is experiencing exponential growth and is starting to attract blue chip companies to advertise their products, this area of boards.ie needs huge attention very quickly.

• Advertisement

We generally find that mods are pretty consistent in the bans they issue. For example, your ban for abuse would probably be a week off in most forums, which is why neither Asiaprod or I felt that it was excessive.

That said, I do accept your point although, as Asiaprod has already stated, it's a difficult thing to standardise given the potential range of offences and differing ethoses in the various forums. However, as he already mentioned, it's something that we are discussing and it's possible that it will become a future FeedForward topic for wider public debate.

I'm assuming that I can close this as resolved, but I'll leave it open for another 24 hours just in case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement