Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Service: Moderator "Nice Guy Always".

Options
  • 16-10-2010 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭

I reported a Post in the ES section. This is the response I got.
    Goldie fish,

As moderator of the ES forum I am replying to your reported post from this thread. This is in keeping with the Dispute Resolution Process.

The post you reported, post number 52, was posted by the user nice guy always, a regular poster within the ES forum. The moderator nice guy always acts and posts to moderate the forum using black bold font and a heading "Moderator instruction" etc. They can be considered two separate people.

Moderators are posters within the forum they mod just like everyone else, as are they on forums within boards.ie's other forums. They act when they have to.

In post number 52 I did not issue a moderator instruction, direction or reprimand. Therefore I posted as a regular user, gave my opinion, backed it up with legislation and asked you to stand corrected as what you had stated was not correct.

In regards the first paragraph of post 52, you once told me you had "previous service within AGS", The comment made was the opinion of a poster within the forum, who happens to be a long standing member of AGS and just happens to moderate the ES forum where necessary. I am fully happy that my post contained no un truths and contained my personal opinion, that was in no way an insult......but fact.

This is the first stage in the DRP. If you are unsatisfied with this reply you of course can reply directly to me and discuss any particular problems you have. If not you can start a thread in the above linked DRP forum.

Regards

NGA

Well I found it very insulting. You are implying that I was not a member of AGS for one, when it is common knowledge that I was. Indeed I was invited INVITED to post on the ES thread for that reason.
    A poster other than NGA should deal with my complaint for starters.

For a MODERATOR to suggest that a poster is lying about his former career and not consider that an insult is a joke.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

As per the above flowchart, I think you can expect one of the Soc CMods to address the issue from this point onwards. No other ES mod will get involved due to the potential for a conflict of interest.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

That was a very mild insult at best and probably an oversight on the mod's part. I really don't see a need to intervene here. If anything I think you're going to have a very tough time online if you have such a thin skin OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I am quite thick skinned but do not like when an aspertion is cast on my former career. In particular when implications are made why I am no longer in that career.
    I served up to 1997. I left through injury. Ironically an injury that was caused by the man responsible for the Riot in Mountjoy earlier this week.

Yet NGA feels it is OK to suggest in his post that
    says he was a member of AGS
    as if I am making it up? Did I dream the injuries? If this is the case there is an innocent man in Mountjoy at the moment. No wonder he starts riots.

Is this acceptable?

With respect, I am not satisfied with the CMods decision in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

When I read that post I too tended to see it as the CMod did "That was a very mild insult at best and probably an oversight on the mod's part."

As you mentioned in post 57#...Its all about interpretation.

The poster in question did not say that you were never a member of the AGS. As I see it, it was your knowledge of the Road Traffic Act that was being addressed. The implication being that you no longer worked in an AGS capacity. I saw no reference to any reason being given as to why you no longer worked in an AGS capacity.

In retrospect, I agree that it could have been stated a different/nicer way as it is a sensitive issue with you, nobody likes to have their work called into question. The fact remains that you need to grow a thicker skin here.

I am struggling to see any decision here.

Therefore I would like to demand that NGA removes the post where he questions my membership of AGS. He can quite easily verify same if he wishes.
    I think the notion of "attack the post, not the poster" should be one you introduce.

• Advertisement

I am struggling to see any decision here.

Therefore I would like to demand that NGA removes the post where he questions my membership of AGS. He can quite easily verify same if he wishes.
    I think the notion of "attack the post, not the poster" should be one you introduce.

I'll get back to you. In the mean time, demand is a strong word. Think about writing a less demanding PM to the Cmod/Mods requesting it.

I was offering a solution.

Other than "growing a thicker skin".

My understanding of the colourful flow chart is that this is the place for resolution. Not Private messages.

There is a resolution, PM the Mod in question, who was posting as a user in that instance, and ask him politely to remove his comment. It was a personal opinion and not that of a Forum moderators. As far as I am concerned this thread has run its course, a solution has been presented, it is now up to you to go with it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I was offering a solution.

Other than "growing a thicker skin".

My understanding of the colourful flow chart is that this is the place for resolution. Not Private messages.

It's a place for resolving issues with moderation decisions, rather than with posts made by posters who happen also to be moderators - what you've presented here is the latter rather than the former.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement