Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to college in france next year

Options
  • 15-10-2010 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Thought this would be the best place to ask this.

I'm going on erasmus next year to france. Dijon, Bayonne, Marseille, and Montpellier are the options.

Anybody been/lived in any of these places? What are they like?

Any info would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

Hey, I used to live near Marseille, I was in Aix-en-Provence, which was about 30 mins away. Spent a bit of time in Marseille, didn't particulary like it. Its quite run down, high level of poverty and crime and just feels abit dodgy. Maybe if you were in the uni and not mixing with the general population you'd be fine though. Just watch out for the Marseille accent, its impossible to understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

neil_18_ wrote: »

I'm going on erasmus next year to france. Dijon, Bayonne, Marseille, and Montpellier are the options.

Any info would be great

montpellier is one of the best student towns in France, and the people are great-Bayonne would be great craic also, the basque are completely crazy!!!. Dijon, don't know much about it, to be honest, and marseille, is a big city, but rough and rundown. it's one of those places you'll either love or hate, but it has real character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

neil_18_ wrote: »
    Any info would be great

I worked in France for a year. Marseille is a bit dodgy, a bit like Pirates of the Carribean. But again you might be living outside the town centre for college. Rough place though.

Dijon - I was only there for a weekend. Lovely spot, food and fresh air. But a bit small for a town if you are looking for nightlife on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BillieBob

I spent two months in Montpellier and it was class, I'd definitely recommend it. I much preferred it to Bordeaux where I'd spent my erasmus year. The people were very friendly with a great atmosphere about the place (as someone else said it's a big student town). Plus it's not far from the east (e.g. Nice etc), the Pyrenees for ski-ing or Spain which is always fun to visit.

I've never been to Marseilles but it has that reputation as a bit rough in places and never been to Dijon. I spent a couple of days in Bayonne, which is a nice French town with a good ambiance (6k away from it's neighbour - the posher snobbier Biarritz) though it might be a bit small if you were to spend a whole year there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Thanks for the respones. Really good info there. Montpellier was my 1st choice from the start and i'm even happier with this choice after reading the replies. :D

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement