Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repiercing tongue--safe?

Options
  • 15-10-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I had my tongue pierced a few years back and just decided that since its still open I would attempt to push a barbell through. Went through nice until the very bottom, the hole was a bit narrower that the barbell so I shoved it through. It did not bleed at all, just a slight tear. I am concerned about how it will heal? With a normal piercing, part of the tongue is removed with the piercing needle, giving it space to heal. Now I am techincally "stretching" my tongue. Has anyone done this, and if so, what were the results-good or bad? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

sjaj wrote: »
    I had my tongue pierced a few years back and just decided that since its still open I would attempt to push a barbell through. Went through nice until the very bottom, the hole was a bit narrower that the barbell so I shoved it through. It did not bleed at all, just a slight tear. I am concerned about how it will heal? With a normal piercing, part of the tongue is removed with the piercing needle, giving it space to heal. Now I am techincally "stretching" my tongue. Has anyone done this, and if so, what were the results-good or bad? Thanks!
    :confused:
    eh no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

With a normal piercing, part of the tongue is removed with the piercing needle, giving it space to heal.
    That doesn't sound right to me either.

I took my tongue piercing out about 7 years ago and would never have dreamed of putting it back in once it had been out for 2 or 3 days, can't believe you had no bleeding! How did it tear but not bleed?

I'm v curious about this, I've been thinking of getting mine re-done lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sjaj

Ooops, sorry about that-I should've phrased it better. What I meant was that the piercing needle removes a small chunk in the hollowed-out needle...

I'm not sure why it didn't heal--none of my piercings have ever healed fully. As for the no bleeding, I don't know why I didn't, it may have been the scar tissue...or maybe it wasn't even a tear and just the tissue stretching--it sure felt like it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Ooops, sorry about that-I should've phrased it better. What I meant was that the piercing needle removes a small chunk in the hollowed-out needle...
    When you pierce, you effectively SLICE through the flesh, like a scalpel, it's not like a hole punch. It sounds to me that what you've done is stretch a narrowed piercing because were it healed over and you pushed a flat bar through, you would know all about it. It would have bled, it would be swollen and it would hurt like *&^$*!!

• Advertisement

once again...eh no.

once again...eh no.

"piercing needles, which are sharp and hollow and remove tissue cleanly rather than crush it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_piercing

oh well if wikipedia says so :rolleyes: but of course i'm wrong after 50+ piercings and even though a piercer agrees wit me

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

"piercing needles, which are sharp and hollow and remove tissue cleanly rather than crush it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_piercing
    And of course we must bow to Wiki.
    Yes a piercing needle (we prefer the term blade) is sharp
    Yes a piercing needle is hollow.
    Yes a piercing needle doesn't crush tissue (the jury's still out on canulas)
    NO,NO,NO piercing needles don't remove tissue cleanly, they slice/ pierce tissue cleanly. My sharps bin is full of used blades, it doesn't contain lots of little plugs of tissue.
    Imagine a scalpel blade. Now imagine rolling it into a tube. Now push said tube through your tongue. It would, due to the fact that not only the tip but also the exposed edges are razor sharp, slice its way through. That clean slice achieved by piercing blades, in the hands of a professional, is the reason modern piercing bleed so little. We don't use mini apple corers.

alright, alright...I admit defeat. I guess I've always just imagined that that is what the piercing needle did, and is why the skin around it is able to heal so well...BUT I am wrong. :o ...How is it then that the tissue heals? Does it just callus over?....

• Advertisement
Advertisement