Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish F1 television rights for 2011?

Options
  • 15-10-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭

So who has the Telly rights for F1 next year 2011? I can't find any stories but I have a feeling the Irish rights will be up for grabs.

Anyone know if Setanta have a contract for next year, or if any other stations have grabbed it yet?

Personally, I like the Setanta Coverage over the standard BBC coverage (do not have the luxury of Red button so can't swicth audio to 5Live). I think Declan Quigley on Setanta does a fairly good job. Would prefer him over Paul Collins, James Allen and also Legard. So if the Irish TV rights went back to RTE, I'd have a hard time choosing the RTE or the BCC if PC and JL were commentating!

As for David Kennedy, yeah, well, can't say that much really but while he wasn't around for a few races there was an American guy (I think he was a yank) commenting, he kept calling Declan Dec, qute finny to hear, but the commentary was significantly more interesting.

So anyone know what is happening next year in term of F1 TV rights for Ireland and potential commentators if it does change broadcasters?? It'd be interesting if TV3 picked it up!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hoping none of them get the rights because there would then be the chance that they'd insist the BBC block their digital signal while showing the GPs, and I would not be happy about that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

David Kennedy is involved with the Status GP3 team now

http://www.gp3series.com/teams/status-grand-prix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

amacachi wrote: »
    Hoping none of them get the rights because there would then be the chance that they'd insist the BBC block their digital signal while showing the GPs, and I would not be happy about that at all.

It's not possible to block the BBC on satellite without UK viewers losing signal also.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It's not possible to block the BBC on satellite without UK viewers losing signal also.

Really? Happens on E4 and Channel 4 fair often.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Tough one really.

I love the BBC commentary (well, brundle and kravitz at least) and the overall coverage is very good in my opinion; documentaries, interview etc.

If it were on RTÉ it would (presumably) be funded, at least in part, by commercials = crappy coverage.

If it were on setanta I wouldn't see any of it anyway.

TBH I'll probably keep watching the BBC coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Its very possible to block the signal on Irish viewing cards however all you would need to do is pull your card out of the box and revert to the uk free channels which will include bbc1 on 101 and bbc2 on 102.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

amacachi wrote: »
    Really? Happens on E4 and Channel 4 fair often.

E4 and Channel 4 on Sky in Ireland are encrypted. This allows some programmes to be blocked.

There is also completely separate versions of Channel 4 which are FTA. These are the ones that appear on Sky in the UK. If you tune in the UK versions to Other Channels they can be viewed at all times.
    mickdw wrote: »
    Its very possible to block the signal on Irish viewing cards however all you would need to do is pull your card out of the box and revert to the uk free channels which will include bbc1 on 101 and bbc2 on 102.

It is not possible to block programmes on BBC in just Ireland. All BBC channels on Sky are FTA. It is impossible to block programming on a FTA channel in one area while another continues to watch. If you think back to when the BBC had SPL rights for just Scotland, they had a caption on screen asking people to watch on cable or terrestrial. Everyone saw this caption, even viewers in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

Irish Sky use BBC NI so cant really block the Irish out..

What was the guy who commentated for Setanta who knew everything? Pitty he is gone.. He was really good.. During practice they would talk for hours about stuff no one else would talk about cars really detailed.. Some times it was like the cars were getting in the way :) But that kind of commentating would have BBC viewers turning off very quick..

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

high heels wrote: »
    What was the guy who commentated for Setanta who knew everything?

Gary Anderson?

high heels wrote: »
    Irish Sky use BBC NI so cant really block the Irish out..

What was the guy who commentated for Setanta who knew everything? Pitty he is gone.. He was really good.. During practice they would talk for hours about stuff no one else would talk about cars really detailed.. Some times it was like the cars were getting in the way :) But that kind of commentating would have BBC viewers turning off very quick..
    Have you heard Davidson and/or Chandhok on BBC? Very good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

mickdw wrote: »

Not for the BBC channels it isn't, since the BBC do not pay for and hence do not use the VideoGuard conditional access system which controls access to Sky channels. Without them obtaining a licence for and using this system, they can't block any programming. Not having to pay the licence fees for this software was the major reason the BBC went free to air, it saved them a huge chunk of money since NDS is the only game in town as far as encryption is concerned if you want your programming to be recievable on Sky digiboxes (hence they can and do charge what they like).

I've met very few Formula 1 fans who prefer the Setanta coverage to the BBC coverage. It is practically the only sport where people will take the British option over an Irish one. The main reason for this is that the BBC coverage is far superior, with a full team on site, the banter between the presenters, Martin Brundle's gridwalk, the pre-race features, etc. All Setanta does is take the world feed and add commentary. It just isn't the same. Plus a lot of people who have been watching a long time would have watched the BBC and ITV coverage for Murray Walker's always entertaining commentary and would have stuck with them even after he retired.

And when RTÉ covered F1, they couldn't stop mentioning the Two Eddies (never mind what anyone else was doing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

ESPN may take it as they cover it in the states. Incidentally, Gary Anderson is a contributer on it.

aphex™ wrote: »
    ESPN may take it as they cover it in the states. Incidentally, Gary Anderson is a contributer on it.

They wouldn't take it just for Ireland, as that would involve setting up a seperate Irish service and/or opting out of programming on ESPN UK (which creates problems in itself). If they were going to bid, they'd have to do it for the UK and Ireland. And Eccelstone (and the sponsors who bankroll F1) would not be very happy to lose the FTA coverage in the UK.

Besides, as I understand it, the BBC deal was for five years, so it still has three years left to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

icdg wrote: »
    And when RTÉ covered F1, they couldn't stop mentioning the Two Eddies (never mind what anyone else was doing).

I could understand them doing that in 1999, when Irvine and (briefly) Jordan were championship contenders, but the rest of the time it was seriously tedious - right up there with ITV's erstwhile obsession with Hamilton and his family.

Back in the '90s, before Sky Digital, poor rooftop-aerial reception on HTV meant that I often had no choice but to watch the races on RTÉ. In fairness to Peter 'Monaaaaaco Grand Prix' Collins and (particularly) David 'Melodeon Effect' Kennedy, they did a reasonable job despite the obviously pathetic resources at their disposal. I remember reading in Autosport or F1 Racing that they were very well respected around the paddock.

With F1 available FTA practically everywhere in the country, I can't see any point in RTÉ (or Setanta, for that matter) wasting their money on a sport for which they'll never have the budget to provide adequate post-race coverage and analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

icdg wrote: »
    They wouldn't take it just for Ireland, as that would involve setting up a seperate Irish service and/or opting out of programming on ESPN UK (which creates problems in itself). If they were going to bid, they'd have to do it for the UK and Ireland. And Eccelstone (and the sponsors who bankroll F1) would not be very happy to lose the FTA coverage in the UK.
    I thought their Irish soccer rights was less than their UK rights because Setanta still had some Irish rights. So I presumed they had their own ESPN Ireland setup.

aphex™ wrote: »
    I thought their Irish soccer rights was less than their UK rights because Setanta still had some Irish rights. So I presumed they had their own ESPN Ireland setup.

Nope, its just ESPN UK - not even seperate advertising. There are some occassions where they have to block some programming to some Irish viewers (most specifically, UEFA Europa League games are blocked on satellite) but this is done through the conditional access system and not by offering a seperate feed.

They have a version of their website for Ireland, but only the subscription details are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

I'd rather watch it on BBC, but please let us have Croft instead of Legard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Karlos144

Anyone interested in a venue that you could go and watch the grand prix with others who are into Formula1?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bigboy123

Firstly I don't think rte will buy the rights, they prefer to spend their sport money covering events such as the european athletics like this year, which I don't think anybody watched except for those interested in the Irish athletes. Even if rte covered F1, few would want to see coverage interrupted by numerous ad breaks, when seamless coverage is available. Although legard is not exactly ideal, kravitz offers a unique insight within the garages who would not be interested in an Irish journalist quizzing them mid race about strategy and personal views.
    Also Anthony davidsons free practise coverage is unrivalled, how about replacing legard with davidson??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

If rte get it they'll have to stop the ads or evreryone will watch bbc. Even setanta do uninterupted coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Is there anything concrete about who will broadcast F1 in Ireland from next season onwards? I was under the impression that Setanta held the rights for at least another season

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

frostie500 wrote: »
    Is there anything concrete about who will broadcast F1 in Ireland from next season onwards? I was under the impression that Setanta held the rights for at least another season

Latest is that Setanta have made a late decision to pull out of broadcasting formula one for 2011. RTE have not budgeted for F1 though, so they will need to find a sponsor if they are to broadcast it.

http://www.manipef1.com/news/articles/11931/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Shame that really...don't want to see Declan Quigley put out of a job - he was definitely better to listen to than Legard. That's all changed now so I suppose my new sat dish will still give me a choice of commentators as well as HD coverage. Maybe the HD element is costing a fortune and Setanta just can't see any benefit for broadcasting it as there is no real audience for Setanta HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭dinjo

clearly nobody here has been watching the bbc f1 site.... it was announced a few weeks back that jonathan legard would not be commentating for the bbc this year. it will be martin brundle and david coulthard in the commentary box.

the pundits will still be lead by jake humphreys and he is joined by eddie jordan and david coulthard (dual role for coulthard)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,070 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Wouldn't mind seeing rte grab it and give it a go. Would be interesting to see what they made of it. Although most would still go with BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

dinjo wrote: »
    clearly nobody here has been watching the bbc f1 site.... it was announced a few weeks back that jonathan legard would not be commentating for the bbc this year. it will be martin brundle and david coulthard in the commentary box.

the pundits will still be lead by jake humphreys and he is joined by eddie jordan and david coulthard (dual role for coulthard)

clearly you haven't been watching the boards.ie motorsport forum :D

Legard on the way out? - Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Latest info is that Setanta has F1, GP2 and Moto GP...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

afatbollix wrote: »
    Latest info is that Setanta has F1, GP2 and Moto GP...

Where did you hear that? I've still seen nothing(especially about the MotoGP part)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Internal email that I seen..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

No F1 in Setanta's listings for next weekend as of yet anyway.

Advertisement