Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counsellor working with victims of S.A and Abusers?

Options
  • 15-10-2010 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all, im new posting here, just wondered if anyone can share their thoughts on an experience im having and feel unable to ask the person in question. I am attending a counsellor as a survivor of child s.a and have been for last 6 months and have just found out my counsellor also counsells people who are abusers.. im having difficulty getting my head around fact someone can work with both sides.. Am i with the right person, i feel funny telling him my stories when he also counsells the people who have done this to me.. Now i am not liking openly talking, is it me that feels funny about this or would anyone else? Thanks and please dont attack me im just asking for for some advice here..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

alex93 wrote: »
    Hi all, im new posting here, just wondered if anyone can share their thoughts on an experience im having and feel unable to ask the person in question. I am attending a counsellor as a survivor of child s.a and have been for last 6 months and have just found out my counsellor also counsells people who are abusers.. im having difficulty getting my head around fact someone can work with both sides.. Am i with the right person, i feel funny telling him my stories when he also counsells the people who have done this to me.. Now i am not liking openly talking, is it me that feels funny about this or would anyone else? Thanks and please dont attack me im just asking for for some advice here..

Alright, firstly we can't comment on individual cases here, but to speak in general I have experience treating both. First thing is go back to your therapist and speak about this, your thoughts and feeling on the matter.

I have much more experience with those who have experienced abuse than those who engage in it. My experience of treating those who have engaged in abuse does not affect my ability to treat those who have experience. In fact, [99.9% sure] one of the treatment facilities for those who have engaged in it, also treat those who experienced it.

Hope that helps a bit, you really need to speak to your therapist about this, if you having been doing good work, which it sounds like since you are attend for 6mths, it would be a shame to walk away from it.

Advertisement