Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Parrot AR Drone work with Android?

Options
  • 15-10-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭

Seen a few videos of people on You tube using it and there's an android SDK available here https://projects.ardrone.org/

Just wondering has anyone got one or knows if it will work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

It was originally designed to work on a Nexus One afaik, but I think officially it's iPhone exclusive now. They're for sale in HMV Grafton St for €300 if you want to have a look at one.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

WOW!!!!! This is the first time I've suffered from iPhone envy. If they do bring out an Android app. I'd snap it up at that price. I thought the first video I looked at on YouTube was a spoof. That's an AMAZING gadget! Makes me forget we're in a recession....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

This is bloody ridiculous, I have to have one! Boys toy if I ever saw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭emo72

I have an old ipod touch, 1st generation. Would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

1st gen doesn't have bluetooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Anyone got an idea whether this will stay exclusive to iphone? Pretty big coup if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Baza210 wrote: »
    1st gen doesn't have bluetooth.

It works off wi-fi not bluetooth so it may work! Google their website and there's an email address on it to email them to ask them!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

It has nothing to do with iPhone exclusivity, the Parrot guys were at Google I/O to demo the kit to Android developers (thats the video doing the rounds).

There is a very early alpha app available for Android from the AR Drone developers site that you can compile yourself, however it lacks streaming video and requires a trackball/D-pad to fly the drone.

Supposedly the reason Android development has been so slow for the AR Drone is that Android before 2.2 lacked the AdHoc WiFi support required to connect to the drone. I'm sure the lads in France just wanted to get the product out the door with solid support for one platform before they expanded to others, and now that 2.2 is pretty widely available I'd say an official AR Drone app for Android could be expected before Christmas.

Advertisement