Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Councillors drags down the city and the Midwest to a new Low.

Options
  • 15-10-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭

Never mind regeneration and the cause of it , never mind the crime on our doorstep, it is never as bad as councillors and TD Jan O'Sullivan performance and attidude recent report in the Limerick leader.

This kind of Bull than foreign investors will see when they read about the Area. Politicians who are fighting not between parties but for land. The Shots were fire solely from the City Instead of coming together to fix the Disaster the City has created for themsleves are now
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-councillor-Gerry-McLoughlin-I.6581564.jp

CLLR Gerry McLoughlin has defended the sentiment of controversial comments he made this week labelling parts of west Limerick as the "a****hole" of the county.
    The Labour councillor made his comments during a special meeting of Limerick City Council to discuss the recommendations of the Limerick Local Government Commitee.

He was also highly of critical county councillors.

"These country bumpkins have no regard for Limerick.

"I am a city man. I don't go down there, and have no time for them," he said.

Labour TD Jan O'Sullivan said she did not believe Cllr McLoughlin meant any offence.
    he contradict himself here with this
    In response to the criticism, Cllr McLoughlin conceded his use of language may have been over the top but he said: "I stand over the remarks because I don't think Limerick County Council has any regard for the city I get on well with everybody – city councillors, county councillors, country people, city people.

Councillor McLoughlin would rather blame others for the mess they created themselves such as the highest rates in the country and poor Traffic management and cut out any Competition (which is in breach of EU Competitions rules) that keep Jobs and Low Prices for Consumers and have only one Area to milk from surrounding areas.

He has negate the good work the County has done to help the city with common projects such as the Limerick Tunnel and bypass of the city (in which everybody wanted).

Personally I prefer the leave the city the way it is, No boundary extension. If the City Council cannot behave themselves and continue the destructive Business policies and attitude, then they should be kept cage in rather than destroy surrounding areas, rather have anybody like him have any say over county affairs in an amalgamated council.

The only reason I would surrport and amalgamation of the Two council is this in the Denis Brosnan report.
    6. Value for Money
    Substantial savings, realised from efficiencies gained through the merging of the staffing and administrative structures of Limerick City and County Councils and the elimination of duplication, should be achieved by the new Limerick authority. These savings should be retained by the new authority and used to lower rates within the current City area to match those in the County area,xxxix and to support and underpin priority projects such as the revitalisation of Limerick city centre and the regeneration of the city.
    €20 million is saving and that include reduce council Members number and Common Staff. So less Expensive Expenses on Councils Junkets!!!!! This money could be used for vital projects.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

limklad wrote: »
    Never mind regeneration and the cause of it , never mind the crime on our doorstep, it is never as bad as councillors and TD Jan O'Sullivan performance and attidude recent report in the Limerick leader.

This kind of Bull than foreign investors will see when they read about the Area. Politicians who are fighting not between parties but for land. The Shots were fire solely from the City Instead of coming together to fix the Disaster the City has created for themsleves are now

he contradict himself here with this

Councillor McLoughlin would rather blame others for the mess they created themselves such as the highest rates in the country and poor Traffic management and cut out any Competition (which is in breach of EU Competitions rules) that keep Jobs and Low Prices for Consumers and have only one Area to milk from surrounding areas.

He has negate the good work the County has done to help the city with common projects such as the Limerick Tunnel and bypass of the city (in which everybody wanted).

Personally I prefer the leave the city the way it is, No boundary extension. If the City Council cannot behave themselves and continue the destructive Business policies and attitude, then they should be kept cage in rather than destroy surrounding areas, rather have anybody like him have any say over county affairs in an amalgamated council.

The only reason I would surrport and amalgamation of the Two council is this in the Denis Brosnan report.
    €20 million is saving and that include reduce council Members number and Common Staff. So less Expensive Expenses on Councils Junkets!!!!! This money could be used for vital projects.

I assume What you're saying is a joke or you're taking the piss.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Arsehole of [enter area here]" is a colloquialism that basically translates as "the middle of nowhere". It's not the same as comparing an area to a body-part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

arsehole of the county
    These country bumpkins have no regard for Limerick.
    I am a city man. I don't go down there, and have no time for them

Does he think that Limerick City is some sort of thriving megalopolis?
    He sounds a lot more parochial than most of the so-called "country bumpkins".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Could also mean "nothing good comes out of it".

The ar$ehole of... to me is generally not good, the worst of. Depends on the context its used to get the different meanings. To me they way he used it "west limerick is the worst part of limerick". Probably he meant what you said but it was a stupid way of saying it, it can mean 2 different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

We should be used to Limerick City Councillors making stupid statements by now. Whether it be Jim Longs Rent boys or John Gilligans "An Taisce runied the opera centre" (never mind that it's been NAMA'd).

I think the core point about a unified local authority has some merit. The city definitely needs a boundry extension. I don't think the extension needs to go as far as Kerry though. The city just needs to be extended to capture all the urban areas around it whether it be Raheen, Dooradoyle and Casteltroy from Limerick County council or it's shannon banks and westbury from Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

brownej wrote: »
    I assume What you're saying is a joke or you're taking the piss.....
    Neither, The City council is doom and they know the game is up. They why that are in defiant mood right now. The Report does not remove the city status like some idiots claim. Between the City manager will be replaced by the Amalgamated council and many of the Council seat will be eliminated saving us Tax Payer Money. They never put in amenities into places like Moyross and Southhill and neglected until the government had to step in with the Regeneration schemes and like hyprocits critise the County council for the same thing. They ignore the ongoing problems that natives in these problematic areas had to put up with cause by Troublesome families and brush it off as a Gardai matter. Their and the HSE solution to the problem is to export these troublesome families outside the city bounds, therefore it is no longer their problem.
    They (City Council) have consistently destroy the city by miss management, their outdated policies on rates have driven Business out of the city to business friendly environments.

Also the Limerick Drainage scheme that was meant to be €9.3Million which ended up been €83Million + to the Tax payers expense for their big blunder. I have hear of cost doubling before but never like 9 times the value of the original contract.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0214/politics.html?rss

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Limklad, is there a specific point to this thread or is it just a rant about the City Council in general? I'm struggling to get what kind of a message you're making here.

"Arsehole of [enter area here]" is a colloquialism that basically translates as "the middle of nowhere". It's not the same as comparing an area to a body-part.
    Newcastle west is not in the middle of Nowhere. To describe a place in the middle of nowhere is a derogatory term, not very flattering at all.
    The County is not Run by Newcastle West as the ignorant councillor thinks. It is run from Dooradoyle, next to the Crescent Shopping centre. Most of the population is in East Limerick even excluding the population in the Suburbs of Limerick City. The Majority of the Population in the Suburbs originally comes from the County and other country areas from other Counties. If the City cannot deal with dealing with county/country people then it should not be allow to take over area that county people live in. Also there is no Town councils in County Limerick, unlike every other County in Ireland. The County council has plenty of Experience and has no problem in running Urban areas for decades, with NCW as the Largest Town and bigger than most urban Town Councils in Ireland. Newcastle West is also one of the Largest growing Towns in the Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I'd have to disagree.

- The 'arsé end of nowhere' has that one all sewn up.
    English
    [edit] Noun

arse end of nowhere (uncountable)

1. (idiomatic, derogatory) A very remote place

Link

If People see fit to be offended by having their Locality termed the arséhole of a particular wider general area then I have to say I can see their point and would certainly agree its demeaning, derogatory and unhelpful in every possible sense....

Personally I think that Cllr. McLoughlin should be encouraged to stay in home and shut up - it would do his dwindling public regard an popularity a huge service once People had sufficient time to forget about his outbursts and antics.

- Who votes for these People ???????????????????? (?)

In that case, I better tell my dad he's been using the phrase incorrectly for the last 20 years...

• Advertisement

Limklad, is there a specific point to this thread or is it just a rant about the City Council in general? I'm struggling to get what kind of a message you're making here.
    I am describing the hypocrisy of the City Councillors and the ignorant view of city people towards the County. The City need the surround regions to help it, including Tipperary and Clare. The City Council is doing it best to kill all relations with blatant insults with people they need to work with.

As Far as I am concern if the Bronson recommendations do not go through without modification, then No boundary extension should occur, otherwise the Suburbs will be another Moyross or Southhill and the whole midwest region will continue to suffer.

In that case, I better tell my dad he's been using the phrase incorrectly for the last 20 years...

Better tell him to give you a clip round the ear for spending 19 hours a day on the Internet spouting shíte too :D

Raiser wrote: »
    Better tell him to give you a clip round the ear for spending 19 hours a day on the Internet spouting shíte too :D

It's closer to 14 hours, and he would if he could catch me! :D

I still don't think the councillor's remarks are dragging the city to "a new low" though. We've had far, far worse happen in and around Limerick, within my life-time and before it. I don't believe the "arsehole" comment was meant to be offensive, but the "country bumpkin" part was childish/sad/petty, etc. It's disgraceful that an elected official thinks that such comments are appropriate. But, it still isn't as bad as the OP makes it out to be.

It's closer to 14 hours, and he would if he could catch me! :D

I still don't think the councillor's remarks are dragging the city to "a new low" though. We've had far, far worse happen in and around Limerick, within my life-time and before it. I don't believe the "arsehole" comment was meant to be offensive, but the "country bumpkin" part was childish/sad/petty, etc. It's disgraceful that an elected official thinks that such comments are appropriate. But, it still isn't as bad as the OP makes it out to be.
    To come out with these comments like that and Jan O'Sullivan who is a Labour TD not only for the city but much of the rural Limerick county and parts of Clare, who claims he did not mean anything by it, only leaves county people in both areas to believe that Limerick city deserves what it get, the death nail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

IMO that guy is talking out of the "arsehole" of his mouth

I'm taking this to the county forum where my fellow country bumpkins will surely revolt :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Quinnie

And so we should! Being form our wonderful county, but exiled to the city, I am offended and embarrassed that idiots like Mcloughlin are the best we can find to run our city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

... I'm taking this to the county forum...

The Limerick county forum has tumbleweed blowing through it.

I think boards.ie should set an example for the councillors by merging the City and County forums into one. Anybody agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Who's this McLoughlin fella anyhow? Wasn't he good at mullacking an oval ball around a paddock once upon a time?
    What a stupid thing for him to say. He mustn't get out of Limk much as he obviously thinks it's up there with NY. What has it got that West Limerick doesn't have? (if you really think about it).
    I'm from County Limerick,and there was always this joke growing up that the townies were "a different breed", and "they're all the same". It was tongue in cheek, but maybe there is some truth in there!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭flutered

i am led to believe that his o/h is from galbaly, would that have something to do with it, he went west, but meant south.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭zimmermania

limklad wrote: »
    To come out with these comments like that and Jan O'Sullivan who is a Labour TD not only for the city but much of the rural Limerick county and parts of Clare, who claims he did not mean anything by it, only leaves county people in both areas to believe that Limerick city deserves what it get, the death nail.
    Gerry often loses the run of himself and puts his foot in it just as he has this time.Those who know him suggest he doesnt mean it and just gets carried away.Whatever the the reason he has really screwed up this time.A new apology was put out on friday and was carried on politics.ie,interestingly it was reported by David Cochrane who runs p.i e that the apology was put out by Jan OSullivans office.This would suggest that McLoughlin was reprimanded by OSullivan and maybe told he would have to withdraw the remarks.OSullivan herself not being from the city would not support or condone McLoughlins remarks and neither would the vast majority of labour members in limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He was on the radio this morning saying sorry for his comments.

The usual heat of the moment excuses were trotted out.

Gerry often loses the run of himself and puts his foot in it just as he has this time.Those who know him suggest he doesnt mean it and just gets carried away.Whatever the the reason he has really screwed up this time.A new apology was put out on friday and was carried on politics.ie,interestingly it was reported by David Cochrane who runs p.i e that the apology was put out by Jan OSullivans office.This would suggest that McLoughlin was reprimanded by OSullivan and maybe told he would have to withdraw the remarks.OSullivan herself not being from the city would not support or condone McLoughlins remarks and neither would the vast majority of labour members in limerick

Jan O'Sullivan usually has to step in and defend Gerry in the aftermath of his outbursts.

- He's a real asset to her credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I blame George Clancy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Come on lads....calm down here. It's only Ginger Mcloughlin yet again putting his size 12s in his mouth. He has a long history of this (check out his run-in with rugby ref and Bruff pin-up George Clancy last year). In fact, I'd speculate that it was Bruff he really had in mind when he made his remarks.

You have to remember that Ginger wouldn't be the brightest pin in the box...I'm speaking as someone who had the "pleasure" of being taught Commerce/Business by him in Sextons back in the 70s......an experience to forget.

He's best ignored and , as in the case of the late Mikey Kelly, it's worth remembering that he was ELECTED so if you want to criticise anyone aim your ire at those that gave him the vote.

...I'm speaking as someone who had the "pleasure" of being taught Commerce/Business by him in Sextons back in the 70s......an experience to forget.

I didn't know you could take Commerce or Business classes in Willie Sextons?

Jan O'Sullivan usually has to step in and defend Gerry in the aftermath of his outbursts.

i my eyes she has none, when asked to lobby on shannons behalf for more u.s.army buisness, she claimed it was against her beliefs, to do so, she was elected to repesent limerick east, not to bring her own agenda to dail eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

flutered wrote: »
    i my eyes she has none, when asked to lobby on shannons behalf for more u.s.army buisness, she claimed it was against her beliefs, to do so, she was elected to repesent limerick east, not to bring her own agenda to dail eireann.
    TD's are lawmakers. Her beliefs, or those of her party, dictate the kind of laws or policies they introduce (if they get into government) and therefore how the country is run. If she was elected despite a U.S army presence in Shannon being against her beliefs, then in theory at least, a large part of the electorate have voted for her knowing this was her belief / policy (of course, this issue may never have arisen and her stance on the matter may never have been determined prior to her election).

She wasn't elected to bring business to Limerick east. She was elected by people hoping that she would have enough influence in parliament to bring about her policies and her party's policies.

There are too many TDs who feel that their role in the Dail is to get whatever they can for their constituency and the rest of the country can go ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

and the main problem is they do fook all for their area

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Just as Michael Noonan is not responsible for the utterances of Long or Kiely, OSullivan is not responsible for Lockey going off the rails.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    TD's are lawmakers. Her beliefs, or those of her party, dictate the kind of laws or policies they introduce (if they get into government) and therefore how the country is run. If she was elected despite a U.S army presence in Shannon being against her beliefs, then in theory at least, a large part of the electorate have voted for her knowing this was her belief / policy (of course, this issue may never have arisen and her stance on the matter may never have been determined prior to her election).

She wasn't elected to bring business to Limerick east. She was elected by people hoping that she would have enough influence in parliament to bring about her policies and her party's policies.

There are too many TDs who feel that their role in the Dail is to get whatever they can for their constituency and the rest of the country can go ****.
    the trouble about her is that she never at anytime said that she had beliefs before she went looking for peoples votes, i.m.o. a politicians personal beliefs cannot be put before the needs of their constituents,especially in the current economic climate, where job creation has to be top of any politicians agenda.

Advertisement