Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need CD drive on laptop fixed

Options
  • 15-10-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The CD/DVD drive on my HP laptop isnt working and i need somewhere to get it fixed that isnt going to cost me an arm and a leg- any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

That moviedrome place at top of henry st gets mentioned positively often.
    Not sure how serviceable cd drives are though, may be better off replacing drive, which is quite easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Look for a replacement (ebay maybe) - bar cleaning the lens - there is not a lot of fixing in a cd drive

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Have you tried downloading and installing the driver for it? Sometimes that's all you need to do, and you'll save yourself a few bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With most Windows operating systems the generic driver should have installed automatically when it detects the device.

Browse Windows Explorer or Device Manager and see if it actually sees the CD/DVD drive device. Another thing is to check that it is actually connected properly, alot of CD/DVD drives in laptops are plug and play, overtime if the laptop is moved around alot the device might not be secure and might need to be reseated.

If it is dead then try ebay.ie or adverts.ie for a replacement, it maybe cheaper to buy one from there than actually paying someone to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

if you need to hand it in for repair be very careful who you give it to,,there is a big scam going on where people who hand in pcs or laptops discover that their system has been hacked with spyware and all info on your system is open to the person who repaired it.
    use a reliable company who have been around for a long time if you can.
    a lot of foreign criminal gangs are doing this and getting your bank account info as well as all your passwords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I've a working spare drive from a HP that you can have for a tenner incl postage if thats any good to you?

If it still doesn't work you can post back and I'll refund.

Advertisement