Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best set up

Options
  • 15-10-2010 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

New to this site, I'v been looking around and reading all sorts of threads there is reams and reams of information, my question is...

What is at present the best/no monthly bills set up that I can achieve at home?

I dont have HD tv, I had got sky installed and still recieve the free channels(not many really), and for some reason I have no sound when rte etc is tuned into the televison, but its not worth watching anyway as the reception is so poor! I was thinking of buying a freesat box from extra vision at 59e any advice much appreciated!

Mark.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

If you don't need RTE or the ability to record programs then your current Sky box is as good as any other receivers out there.

To the best of my knowledge the receivers in Xtravision are not Freesat, they are Free to Air Satellite receivers, there is a huge difference. Freesat gives you 7 day EPG(program guide) and it auto updates channels when even they move around , with Free To Air receivers you'll only get now and next EPG and when channels move you have to rescan.

You say you don't get many free channels on your current Sky Box ... have you powered off the box and removed the viewing card ?

Some other channels can be manually added to the Sky box, see this sticky :- http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Xtravision gear is too basic and overpriced compared with same models elsewhere.

The Xtravision gear I saw is all generic FTA, not Freesat. Avoid Generic FTA.

Minimum to buy is a Freesat HD box, even if you have not got HDTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

If you have the card removed from your sky box, you should be receiving all free to air channels on it.

A freesat box is no real advantage over what you currently have.

Seeing as you don't have a HDTV the sky box is getting you all you can.

If you do decide to get a fressat box, then I'd agree with Watty, get a Freesat HD box as the price difference is small and you'll be future proofed. You can still watch the HD channels in standard definition on your SD tv.

Sky box also has the advantage of allowing the addition of remote links(magic eyes/sky eyes)in other rooms easily and cheaply.

Also I agree with the other posters: keep away from generic free to air receivers as they are a complete pain in the you know what and don't compete with freesat receivers at all and are priced roughly the same depending on where you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 markarron

Great stuff lads I'm glad I checked here before I bought that!
    How do I set up the "magic eye" for another room viewing?
    Many thanks

to setup the magic eye:

1. Run a co-ax cable from RF2 on the back of sky box to the room in question.
    2.Connect this cable into the eye.
    3. Connect eye into aerial in on tv.
    4. turn on RF2 power in sky box menu. Loads of threads on here explaining that.
    5. tune in tv in second location to pick up the channel your sky box is set to, usually 68

That's the simple explanation. You say you are not using aerial(ie. RTE etc so you should be able to do it that simply. When running cable to the room in question, it may be easier to run to attic and then connect to an existing cable going to the room where you want the eye, if there is an existing cable running to it.

Depending on the type of house you have and cables existing etc, it can be very simple or next to impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 markarron

randylep, i think il leave the magic eye its 3 floors up running the cable wouldnt be worth it i hardly ever want to watch tele there anyway! I pulled out the card and tuned in all the other stations everyone in the house is happy with the free channels we recieve now, thanks again!

markarron wrote: »
    randylep, i think il leave the magic eye its 3 floors up running the cable wouldnt be worth it i hardly ever want to watch tele there anyway! I pulled out the card and tuned in all the other stations everyone in the house is happy with the free channels we recieve now, thanks again!

Just to let you know, there may be cables installed already that would allow you to do it quite easily. Worth checking anyway.

Advertisement