Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at St John's Hospital Limerick??

Options
  • 15-10-2010 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

ca anybody help me out as where to park when going there? went there two weeks ago and the car park there is so small couldnt find a space. not from the area so not sure of where to park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you wait around long enough somebody will come out. Basically reverse into one of the rows and wait. Everytime somebody else comes in looking for a space glare at them. They should go away.

Everywhere for a fairly long distance in all directions you MUST pay for street parking so try to wait it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

wow really! thanks for reply. i think id be waiting for very long time i will try it the next time though but its so small if there was 30patients staying over night n parking there it'd be full! i was shocked the size at the size of it. we parked in the church grounds the last day because it was early but i think it was due to close at 10.45 well i think that was what was on the sign there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

of topic I know but parking at the regional is now a nightmare during peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

snowman707 wrote: »
    of topic I know but parking at the regional is now a nightmare during peak times

Yeah - Theres Private Car Park Management Company robbing People blind to park in a Public Hospital Car Park paid for by the Publics own fcuking taxes.

- How does tarmac with while lines painted on it need Management anyhow? The only part of it that needs management is the process of fleecing Joe public out of their cash as far as I can see......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Johns is a disaster area for parking, in all my years dropping the auld fella off there for bloodchecks i've never found a space there. You're best off going down by the old sally port pub, there's usally spaces around there(exit and go right).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I used to work there years ago, parking was bad alright. One thing i did hear of was that people who worked in town were parking cars there and walking in. Despicable. Hopefully they clamp offenders now or find some other way to stop that practice.

snowman707 wrote: »

The trick is that when you are heading to the public car park(regional) that you look up the exit route by the little roundabout. If there a space up along there to parallel park (and there are no cars coming) do a U-turn and reverse along and parallel parks.

My missus was in hospital for 8 weeks and I was never going to pay for parking in a hospital.

I was just in Ennis Regional Hospital with her yesterday as well and you dont pay for parking.

One of the arguments is that Tax's pay for the hospital and CAR PARK. Why do we have to pay twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭phog

talkin wrote: »
    ca anybody help me out as where to park when going there? went there two weeks ago and the car park there is so small couldnt find a space. not from the area so not sure of where to park.

If you need to be in the hospital for a certain time then hanging around for a space mighn't be the best option.

There are a few multi storey carparks within a short walking distance - Summer St, near Mulgrave St, one on Denmark St and one off Broad Street, all of these are only a few minutes walking distance from the hospital.

Berty wrote: »
    One of the arguments is that Tax's pay for the hospital and CAR PARK. Why do we have to pay twice?

Would it have anything to do with people who work in Limerick driving close to town as possible, then using the car park for free parking and getting a bus for the rest of their trip, filling the car park before visitors or patients arrive in the hospital.

phog wrote: »
    Would it have anything to do with people who work in Limerick driving close to town as possible, then using the car park for free parking and getting a bus for the rest of their trip, filling the car park before visitors or patients arrive in the hospital.

They dont need a payment system for that. All they need is one guy wandering around clamping cars that go over a 2-3 hours limit.

Next time you are in Cork head out to the New Douglas East Shopping Centre and see their system. Ok its a multistorey so the lights have somehing to hang off but there is a traffic light system. If its red there is a car in the bay so you dont have to dawdle looking for a space. If its green the space is free and if its blue then the car has been there over 3 hours and has most likely been clamped.

There are other car parks around the country where a guy walks up and down taking down the regs on a handheld device. If the number is still on his device 3 hours later it gets a ticket.

Easy peasy however making money is even easier so they will likely allow the company to continue.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    They dont need a payment system for that. All they need is one guy wandering around clamping cars that go over a 2-3 hours limit.

Next time you are in Cork head out to the New Douglas East Shopping Centre and see their system. Ok its a multistorey so the lights have somehing to hang off but there is a traffic light system. If its red there is a car in the bay so you dont have to dawdle looking for a space. If its green the space is free and if its blue then the car has been there over 3 hours and has most likely been clamped.

There are other car parks around the country where a guy walks up and down taking down the regs on a handheld device. If the number is still on his device 3 hours later it gets a ticket.

Easy peasy however making money is even easier so they will likely allow the company to continue.

That system would lead to a patient that is required to attend the out patients for treatment for the full day will get clamped, cant see that being fair while others who have no valid reason to be in the car park other than free parking clogs the place up :confused:

phog wrote: »
    That system would lead to a patient that is required to attend the out patients for treatment for the full day will get clamped, cant see that being fair while others who have no valid reason to be in the car park other than free parking clogs the place up :confused:

Meh the system is always going to have holes in it. :(

Speaking of Johns though. I was thinking that there must be more staff working in the hospital than there are actually parking spaces so they must park someplace. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

never once in all my trips to A&E have i been in and out in 3 hrs.. so clamping after a restricted amount of time will only end up costing taxpayers more in the long run..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You can park on the street outside Johns ( across from between Seans shops and the new cross's funeral home ) it is disc parking area so put up a disk but ive never had a problem finding a spot there.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

Apparently there's more staff than in-patients (I think only 40 odd beds are being used) in Johns at the moment so I'd nearly guess that most of the spaces are taken up by them. I don't think there's many places left around Limerick at the moment where you don't have to pay for parking so if you manage to get a space then well done!! I've never been so lucky!

Sean's shop sell parking discs or you can try parking in the streets behind the hospital.

Advertisement