Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iBook G4 HD replacement

Options
  • 14-10-2010 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

I am going to get the hard drive in my iBook replaced with a new one. It still has the original drive from when it was brand new in '03. A place in the Square has quoted 89 euros for a 160g IDE hard drive. I can't remember what the shop is called it is beside the cinema. Has anybody here dealt with this place? Just wondering if it has a good rep or not.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

TechPros? I've seen that place, never dealt with them though.

I assume that price doesn't include installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

corpo3030 wrote: »
    I am going to get the hard drive in my iBook replaced with a new one. It still has the original drive from when it was brand new in '03. A place in the Square has quoted 89 euros for a 160g IDE hard drive. I can't remember what the shop is called it is beside the cinema. Has anybody here dealt with this place? Just wondering if it has a good rep or not.

For that price excluding installation you'd get as big a HD if not bigger from the better known suppliers such as Komplett or Crucial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭corpo3030

Techpros? Yeah I think that is what the shop was called. I am only getting a new drive to see if it will speed up my iBook, it is getting pretty slow now opening programs. I run disk utilities on a regular basis and the SMART status is still good, although I know that doesn't mean there aren't problems. I stora all my media on a separate drive so I'm not worried about losing any data. Evn if they charge 50 for installation that's reasonable. Another place quoted me 250 for the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Techpros? Yeah I think that is what the shop was called. I am only getting a new drive to see if it will speed up my iBook, it is getting pretty slow now opening programs. I run disk utilities on a regular basis and the SMART status is still good, although I know that doesn't mean there aren't problems. I stora all my media on a separate drive so I'm not worried about losing any data. Evn if they charge 50 for installation that's reasonable. Another place quoted me 250 for the same job.

Bought my iBook in '04, got HD replaced last Sept with 140GB WD by Galmac in Galway for €180. Was warned by shop staff at the time that comp would start dying by degrees, the HD is usually the 1st bit to go. Within a month my disk drive was refusing to accept any CDs (am ignoring this problem, will be upgrading at some point in the near future I hope!). 2 months ago my power cable stopped charging (bought one on Amazon for €15). Now the battery is dying. It only lasts about 10mins when not plugged in & that's from fully charged!:eek:

Can't afford a new mac just now but it's looking like I may have to splurge sooner rather than later...:(

Well I have an old, battered but still functioning Powerbook running Leopard as a backup computer. I will use that if push come to shove. Still looking to get an iPad, not sure if its worth it though. Luckily the battery on mine is pretty good. The guy I bought the iBook from replaced it a couple of months before I got it.

• Advertisement

A new HD isn't going to make much difference with the performance of the iBook unless you install a SSD, which considering the age and the machine concerned isn't a worthwhile investment IMO. More RAM installed will make a big difference as will installing something like Onyx, Mainmenu or iTool; they are all free BTW :)

Where would be the best place to get these programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Maxed out RAM, a modern HD and a clean install of OS makes a WORLD of a difference. Especially the HD. The interface speeds haven't changed but the real world throughput on a drive that shipped originally with an iBook G4 and whats out there today is stark. Go for a new HD, but if you do, go the whole hog and reinstall the OS too.

That's what I'm hoping for. I already have maxed the RAM, maybe with a new HD it'll be a bit quicker. Can't hurt to try anyway. I have an install disk of OSX Tiger so that'll be fine too.

Where would be the best place to get these programs?

Sites like Version Tracker should help you find them and other cleaning utilities for your Mac.

On Souper's point, a new HD will be better than an old one but I'd personally put the cash aside for the day when your iBook finally goes down and you will need a new Mac altogether. The iBook wasn't the hardiest of machines, plucky and all at they are so I'd hold on and get what you can from it, especially while you have the benefit of an external HD to save your archives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Sites like Version Tracker should help you find them and other cleaning utilities for your Mac.

On Souper's point, a new HD will be better than an old one but I'd personally put the cash aside for the day when your iBook finally goes down and you will need a new Mac altogether. The iBook wasn't the hardiest of machines, plucky and all at they are so I'd hold on and get what you can from it, especially while you have the benefit of an external HD to save your archives.

First and foremost I'd do a total re-install on the original HD. Cost you nothing but a bit of time, and it will make a noticeable difference. They gather so much junk down through the years its incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Anne Byrne

I got my laptop fixed from them which PC World told unrepairable some motherboard problem my friend recommended Tech pros in sq. i am very satisfied customer and i will recommend these guys to all my friends as well they are very efficient and i think they are the only one can repair motherboards.
    Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Just be aware though, that if you install a faster drive than the original Apple fitted one, it may run much hotter. So you'll get the fans running full tilt more often, this will have knock on consequences on battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Maybe try it yourself if you are brave enough... I have replaced a few for friends in old Powerbooks and intel based MacBooks fairly easily but this one looks pretty tough.... You'd save a few quid on the install all the same and buy the HD from Komplett or similar as mentioned.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iBook_G4_12%22_1.33_GHz

Rats

Advertisement