Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission & extension of time?

Options
  • 14-10-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hello

I have a site that has full planning permission which is due to expire in Nov 2011. Like quite a few people I am in the situation where I can no longer afford to start the build, and I am doubtful I will be in a position to start by November 2011.

Does anyone know what my options are? I read rumors at one stage that an ammendment to the planning act was being signed off which would mean that it would be possible to get a further 5yr extension if you could not build due to the state of the economy, anyone know if this is actually true? I suspect not. That being the case is my only option to apply for new planning and hope it gets approved again? Any idea if my existing planning will still be valid if I apply again and get a refusal?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yes you are okay. See my post here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Wow ok - so if I go in and see one of the planners and explain my situation they are obligated to extend my permission?

Thanks for your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well, you have to wait until you are into the final 12 months of the current permission before you can apply for an "extension of duration". So sometime after November you can do that.

Not as simple as just telling the planners your situation. There's a wee bit more to it than that but its all fairly simple and you should be able to handle it yourself. You need to get the appropriate form and complete it and pay a fee of €62 I think.

But just bear in mind that the planning authority are not obliged to grant it so its never safe to assume that it will be "automatic". Thats why you have to APPLY for it. However unless there has been some major change to the development plan (maybe your site is now sitting in the middle of a proposed bypass route or a new airport runway) then it should be fairly straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

perfect thanks. I will get on to this after November.

muffler wrote: »
    Well, you have to wait until you are into the final 12 months of the current permission before you can apply for an "extension of duration". So sometime after November you can do that.

Not as simple as just telling the planners your situation. There's a wee bit more to it than that but its all fairly simple and you should be able to handle it yourself. You need to get the appropriate form and complete it and pay a fee of €62 I think.

But just bear in mind that the planning authority are not obliged to grant it so its never safe to assume that it will be "automatic". Thats why you have to APPLY for it. However unless there has been some major change to the development plan (maybe your site is now sitting in the middle of a proposed bypass route or a new airport runway) then it should be fairly straight forward.

Advertisement