Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

updating rooted desire to 2.2, help needed

Options
  • 14-10-2010 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Managed to root my desire a while back and enjoyed the relative advantage (market etc), but understand from reading around that I can't avail of official update to 2.2. There was no automatic notification of update, but when I checked on software updates, it says available, but I think it'll screw up the system if I do. So my options are (it seems) to unroot, or to download and install another version of froyo, both of which fill me with dread because i'm a technical moron, and it took a monumental effort to root, with a few hitches along the way which gave me some scary palpitations!!! Bottom line, anyone out there near Drogheda able to upgrade/downgrade my phone, willing to pay.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Partyatmygaff can guide you through the process, PM him.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭fergalom

hey,

if your rooted already, not as bad or technical as you think.

Download / Install an app called "ROMmanager" - its free
    Open app.
    Click on backup current rom.
    Click on flash clockworkmod recovery.
    Partition your SD card follow instructions for ROM Manager (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7279872&postcount=3)

Download a froyo 2.2 rom such as leedroid to your SD Card - (def recommend it)
    Info: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=768703
    Download link:https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqvy9v61pcvpluf/ROMs/LeeDrOiD_V2.2a_A2SD.zip

In ROM Manager, click "Install ROM from SD Card" and select the ROM zip file you downloaded to the phone.
    Let ROM Manager do its work - will take 10mins - just leave it alone until phone restarts and asks you for sim pin code.

Enjoy!!!

OTHER:
    A good feature of the leedroid rom is they have figured out a way to extend battery life.
    Buy an app called SetCPU and change the governor to "smartass".
    Getting significantly more battery life since I did this.

Cheers
    F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

Thanks Fergalom,

will attempt this some evening next week. Couple of questions, (1) can i download a rom directly to the phone, when i rooted i think i had to use the pc and then follow instructions, and (2), what about radio. I used to be puzzled as to why so much atention was being given to the radio (!) but its really the updating/data device. Do I have to update hat too, or will the 2.2 rom deal with that?

Cheers

J

1) Yes, Use the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqvy9v61pcvpluf/ROMs/LeeDrOiD_V2.2a_A2SD.zip
    and download it directly to your phone using wifi. Alternatively, download on your computer and transfer to your phone's SD card.
    ROM file needs to be on your SD Card.

2)You can update it if you want but no need really. Latest is https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqvy9v61pcvpluf/Radios/32.48.00.32U_5.11.05.14.zip
    Use rom manager again to select the zip file.
    Backup beforehand!

F

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ooh good thread I have exactly the same problem and whenever I tried to put leedroid on it gave me errors upon restart... Will give this a go!

• Advertisement

Hi Fergalom,

Did as you outlined, partitioned sd card, downladed leedroid to pc and transferred to card, pressed install rom, and have a screen with white triangle with ! inside, little android man next to it. This part of the process?

ok, pressed home, system messages regarding not accessing zip file, so rebooted into previous. Will give it a go next week sometime again, cheers, maybe download leedroid directly to phone, see if that makes a difference

Hey,
    Are you sure your phone is rooted? Do you have the super user app on your phone?
    also did you flash the clockworkmod recovery before you tried flashing the ROM?
    f

Hi Fergalom

Definitely rooted, have superuser p and have had to allow certain apps. Issue i think is in the phone not finding zips. Downloaded leedroid, installed on sd via copy n paste (after flashing clockwork n doin he other stuff the pc didnt recognise phone, even when i selected hard drive, so had to put sd card into computer and copy to there. When i put it into fone and click on install rom from sd card, Leedroid comes up, but operation is aborted it cant find zip

John

Have sorted it out. downloaded updated radio and pinky desire rom via rom manager, installed, and now have 2.2.

• Advertisement

hmmm,

strange you couldn't install leedroid, anyways glad you got it sorted.

F

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Hi Fergalom

Definitely rooted, have superuser p and have had to allow certain apps. Issue i think is in the phone not finding zips. Downloaded leedroid, installed on sd via copy n paste (after flashing clockwork n doin he other stuff the pc didnt recognise phone, even when i selected hard drive, so had to put sd card into computer and copy to there. When i put it into fone and click on install rom from sd card, Leedroid comes up, but operation is aborted it cant find zip

John
    It's just a guess, but maybe your .zip file was corrupted and there fore it couldn't install it properly. A redownload could have sorted it out. Leedroid is pretty good. Loving it myself. Also threw a theme onto it (Bright Silence). Looks pretty good now and runs like a dream. Shame it didn't work out for you.

Advertisement