Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overweight people bringing attention to their weight....

Options
  • 14-10-2010 1:59pm

....in group situations.

I mean I don't really have an issue with people being overweight really. But when your in a group of people, having a laugh and somehow they bring up something to do with them "needing to lose some of their weight" or "having a big ass".
    What do they expect the people around them to say?
    Agree with them?
    Disagree with them?

Because it's just awkward!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

its a roundabout way of saying "lets get food"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Tell them to lay off the cheesy poofs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

sacramento wrote: »
    ....in group situations.

I mean I don't really have an issue with people being overweight really. But when your in a group of people, having a laugh and somehow they bring up something to do with them "needing to lose some of their weight" or "having a big ass".
    Agree with them?
    Disagree with them?

Dunno... the only time I ever bring it up is to joke about it, so I would hope that people laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

But when your in a group of people, having a laugh and somehow they bring up something to do with them "needing to lose some of their weight" or "having a big ass".

Simply reply with "I know, we've all been talking about you a lot recently and you're dragging our image down."

Shenshen wrote: »
    Dunno... the only time I ever bring it up is to joke about it, so I would hope that people laugh.

Do they? Often when a larger person does that we just kinda go quiet or ignore it or say "you're grand". It makes us feel awkward most of the time, especially if it's a woman. Not that I can explain exactly why. Afraid to agree with them I suppose.

• Advertisement

Motorboat. Male or female, get in there and motorboat.

Is that because regardless of their gender you're guaranteed breasts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Like 10 pounds of shíte in a 5 pound bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Self-deprecating comments are just a method of dealing with insecurity. If someone's making remarks like this is means they're extremely self-concious of their weight. I guess there might be an element of preemption there as well: if they point out their own faults then there'll be no need for others to do likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You hang out with weird fat people OP

Sykk wrote: »
    Like 10 pounds of shíte in a 5 pound bag

QOTSA!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Do they? Often when a larger person does that we just kinda go quiet or ignore it or say "you're grand". It makes us feel awkward most of the time, especially if it's a woman. Not that I can explain exactly why. Afraid to agree with them I suppose.

Usually they do... as I said, I don't do it often. But I can't resist the opportunity of making people laugh when it presents itself, and I don't really mind if the butt of the joke is my butt... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I'm fairly fat and I don't give a fu*k. If it bothered me that much I'd just try to lose it.

I always joke about it; my friend's constantly give me insults about it. It means nothing; it's just something to make fun of.

We all have those things that we make fun of; height, weight, likes, dislikes and so on: amongst friends it's just fun.

Of course if it's the case of "oh I'm SO fat :(", tell them to shut the fu*k up and lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

....in group situations.

Agree with them?
    Disagree with them?

i HATE that your feel so trapped like if i agree i'm calling you fat, if i disagree i'm clearly lying!

i think we should just give them the same abuse non-overweight people get when they bring up weight....

so rather than them saying "shut up you, sure what do you know? there isn't a pick on you" we should say "shut up you, sure what do you know there's so much weight on you"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Ricky Gervais has the answer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXTq2_3LfXM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I overheard two overweight girls having a chat in a pub one night. They had obviously just met cause this is how the short conversation went.

OW Girl 1: Congratulations. When are you due?

OW Girl 2: I'm just fat, what is your excuse?

I nearly spilt my pint from laughing, it has to be the best response i have ever heard. Fair play to the girl for her quick thinking. The other girl just looked at the floor with embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

....in group situations.

Agree with them?
    Disagree with them?

They want you to start slapping them on their belly.

DO IT GO ON DO IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

When your hungry eat a bit of dust. Anybody? No? Dust. It's actually very low in fat. You can have as much dust as you like.

Little Britain. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Steyr wrote: »
    Little Britain. :pac:

Or have some chocolate cake. But you cut it in half, so half the cake, half the calories so now you can have twice as much. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

It's always good to point out the elephant in the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Grimes wrote: »

It's a roundabout way of saying "I look like a roundabout"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

orourkeda wrote: »
    Tell them to lay off the cheesy poofs

yeah, it's not easy suffering from cake retention ??

Was kinda hoping for more input from people with the weight problem, I suppose it's not a great environment in this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Was kinda hoping for more input from people with the weight problem, I suppose it's not a great environment in this thread!

Considering the responses on this thread, can you blame them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's probably at times kinda like the "Does my bum look big?" thing - just said so that someone will say "Oh no, you're not fat at all!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Dudess wrote: »
    It's probably at times kinda like the "Does my bum look big?" thing - just said so that someone will say "Oh no, you're not fat at all!"

Basically most women.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Basically most women.

And what would you base that opinion on? met most women?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

fat women look like fat men naked with less hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Just always be completely honest if anyone ever asks you to be. Ask them if they want you to be honest.

Anyone that instigates any conversation and expects you to lie when they ask you your opinion are either dishonest themselves or an asshole, they are probably either not to be trusted or are an asshole.

If you always tell the truth when asked for your honest opinion, either directly or indirectly and you do give your honest opinion, then you are in the clear and should not feel awkward or uncomfortable or bad in the slightest.

As long as you don't "jump in" and throw your opinion in peoples faces when unasked, then say what you feel, say what you really mean, say what you believe to be the truth.

If everyone was more honest with everyone else, either people would stop asking dishonest questions or the world would be a much better place.

Either way things will be better.

Or something.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Grimes wrote: »
    heh heh heh

Advertisement