Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travelling/flying with a baby

Options
  • 14-10-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi

I have 3 months old baby, and I would like to know from people who have experience in flying (being on the plane) with small babies.
    mostly i fly with Aerlingus
    what to take,
    how much luggage for the baby you are allowed
    what not to take
    what about car seats?
    what about prams?
    how does it look like with sitting preferences (are they given by airlines or you can pick?)
    can you request that apart from husband and yourself no body will seat next to you (if there is enough space on the plane)

and any other advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Which airline are you flying with?
    i know from experience, that ryanair give you no luggage allowance for babies (carry on or otherwise)
    they will allow a buggy but you will have to pay extra for a travel cot €20 as far as I remember. I imagine the same applies to a car seat, unless your car seat is part of your buggy?

in terms of seats best bet is to get your husband to take the aisle seat and you take the middle. Hardly anyone would expect you to get up to let them into the window, especially with a baby on your lap. I put the babys blanket on the window seat so people thought the seat was taken! Cheeky I know but you need all the space you can get

If you are flying Ryanair make sure you buy priority tickets so you can get on first and guarantee you are sitting with your husband

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Much depends on the airline you are flying with, as well as the threat/ security level when you are travelling.

- You can bring a pram to the gate and check it there. Many people use a babycarrier/ sling instead as quicker to get around airports.
    - You can only bring a carseat onto the plane if you buy a seat.
    - You cannot request an empty seat beside you unless you pay for it. What many parents do, with airlines who reserve seats and a configuration of three seats, is book the window and aisle seats. Often, the middle seat won't be taken unless the plane is full, and if it is, the person is likely to be willing to swap for the window or aisle seat.
    - You can request a bulkheadseat with bassinett.
    - Breastfeed or give baby a bottle or soothie upon take-off and landing to help with equilising pressure.
    - Baby is usually allowed an extra carry-on and a checked buggy. Full bagage allowance if you book a seat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

When I flew with my baby the 1st time it was a ryanair flight from France and she was about 4 1/2 months.
    My advise is to keep the buggy until you are boarding the plane,if you use a sling bring it for the plane.
    They let you bring as much milk/water/juice as you need,if baby is on formula the ready made cartons are handy.
    Bring a toy or teddy that she likes.
    and as said before feed her at take off and landing or give her a soother so her ears don't pop.

We have flown a few times since and had no problems with her ears popping,the older they get the harder it gets though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

one more question. in Aerlingus you are entitled to extra 10kg for your baby stuff. Can I have extra bag for my baby or I have to put all these things into my bag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

ani_mal wrote: »
    one more question. in Aerlingus you are entitled to extra 10kg for your baby stuff. Can I have extra bag for my baby or I have to put all these things into my bag?
    if the baby is traveling on your lap you have to as far as i know put the baby stuff into your bag,

if you buy a seat for your baby then you may have a separate bag for the baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

flew to the States with my little Girl when she was 3 mths and it was grand. I was on my own with her so I was a little nervous ...
    First of all, if you're travelling with an infant on aer lingus, you have to ring to request the bassinette seats ( the ones under the screen where the little mosses basket type things are). This was a godsend as my girl went into that almost as soon as we took off and slept most of the way.
    You can bring the buggy to the gate but not down the tunnel so if you have a sling try to use that. Also remember that you'll have your hands full so my advice would be to bring anything you need for the flight in the baby bag too - you may not have hands to carry another one.
    Try to time the feed so it's around the time of take off ... That's in an ideal situation - if your baby takes a dodi that'll do. Put some calpol in the baby bag just incase baby's ears hurt - it may not be necessary but you don't want the poor little mite in pain for the whole flight.
    I brought the bottles of water and the formula separate. I can't remember if it was an issue but I'm guessing not ... Remember to put all other liquids in the plastic bag though ahead of security so you're not panicking at the top of the line. Another thing at security is, you'll have to collapse the buggy to put it through the x ray machine ... You cant wheel it through. This was a bit of an issue for me and I remember one of the poor security guards nearly died when I handed my little girl to him to hold while I folded it down. The taking the shoes off thing is a pain in the ass too so wear something you can get in and out of easily and no belt if you can.
    But apart from all that it was easy - she's now 3 and I've been back with her again and on flew to Portugal and the 1st one to the states was the easiest :-) People are always willing to help too so try not to worry and look forward to your trip
    A

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

We will be travelling from Cork to Minnesota at the end of next month and it's a bit confusing out there as regards whether we can bring a baby seat on board and what type. I am quite sure that the seat we are using for out one year old in the car is way too big to go into a plane seat. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, if we bring the buggy to the gate will we get it back at the end of the air bridge so we can travel to the next flight? We usually fly airlingus to Amsterdam and KLM or NWA to St Paul, although due to past difficulties at the transfer desk in Schiphol we may go via Heathrow and Delta. However, If need be we can drive to Dublin and take a direct flight to O' Hare and drive from there to St Paul. Our little one likes a toasty bottle of cow and gate comfort formula. Is it possible to put that together on the plane? We usually use 3 ounces of boiling and 4 ounces of filtered water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

We will be travelling from Cork to Minnesota at the end of next month and it's a bit confusing out there as regards whether we can bring a baby seat on board and what type. I am quite sure that the seat we are using for out one year old in the car is way too big to go into a plane seat. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Car seats are not allowed (as far as I know) unless you buy another seat. But for your 1-yr old, you will be given a special belt that you hook on your seat belt & then the babe sits on your lap. During the flight...well, welcome to the joys of holding your baby for countless hours :D
    Also, if we bring the buggy to the gate will we get it back at the end of the air bridge so we can travel to the next flight?

Yes, you will get it back at the terminal so you can use it around the airport.
    Our little one likes a toasty bottle of cow and gate comfort formula. Is it possible to put that together on the plane? We usually use 3 ounces of boiling and 4 ounces of filtered water.

The air attendents are very familiar with this and are generally very accomodating to warming up bottles. Keep in mind you may not be able to take a premade bottle through security (or you may have to drink it to confirm it's safe), so don't mix it up until you get on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Thanks Ayla for your swift reply. I will search around for a suitable seat that will fit into an air plane seat as I don't fancy holding my child for a nine hour flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Sorry, when I said that you buy another seat, I meant you'll have to buy another seat on the plane. If you're willing to do that I don't know if you can bring your existing car seat onboard (although I don't think so). I understand about the long-haul flights (we have a couple coming up ourselves & they're no fun) but I'd suggest contacting your specific airline to see what they recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Thanks Ayla for your swift reply. I will search around for a suitable seat that will fit into an air plane seat as I don't fancy holding my child for a nine hour flight!

I would contact the airline and ask them are these seats allowed. After you will buy such car sear, you will have to buy a seat on the plane for your child.
    Make the travel comfy for yourself and the baby. for me 3hrs flight is tiring with my boy on my knees :)

read http://www.babycenter.com/404_should-i-book-an-airplane-seat-for-my-child_7297.bc and the comments

Advertisement