Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which broadband?

Options
  • 13-10-2010 11:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hey guys, moving house on the weekend and just discovered UPC dont have broadband yet in the monkstown/blackrock area. I was having no problems with them and really pissed I have to leave them. Any ideas of an alternative for me to get? I dont wanna bother with getting a landline if possible as me and the lads will just use the mobiles, and eircom said there isnt a line there so itll cost €120+ to get a connection fee with them.

I was looking at Wimax but is this a good idea? Magnet seems to have good deals but its sounds very hit and miss going by what ppl are saying on this. Whats the best all-rounder, I would be downloading films/music, using xbox live and general browsing so I would need a fairly high allowance monthly and dont want hidden costs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. God dammit UPC!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

malin182 wrote: »
    Hey guys, moving house on the weekend and just discovered UPC dont have broadband yet in the monkstown/blackrock area. I was having no problems with them and really pissed I have to leave them. Any ideas of an alternative for me to get? I dont wanna bother with getting a landline if possible as me and the lads will just use the mobiles, and eircom said there isnt a line there so itll cost €120+ to get a connection fee with them.

I was looking at Wimax but is this a good idea? Magnet seems to have good deals but its sounds very hit and miss going by what ppl are saying on this. Whats the best all-rounder, I would be downloading films/music, using xbox live and general browsing so I would need a fairly high allowance monthly and dont want hidden costs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. God dammit UPC!

We have no download limit and if you like I can look into the service of a few other customers living close to you in order to give you some picture of what to expect from our service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I was looking at Wimax but is this a good idea?

Imagine WiMax? If so, no, not a good idea at all. Imagine have implemented a nomadic (mobile) WiMax system, which is not far off what you get with 3G mobile systems, i.e. not broadband.
    Whats the best all-rounder, I would be downloading films/music, using xbox live and general browsing so I would need a fairly high allowance monthly and dont want hidden costs.

Since UPC are out, then Magnet is probably going to be the best for you. What speed you can get depends on your line, and whether you'll be on their LLU or bitstream product. You'll need to contact them to get this information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

Yes it was Imagine Wimax I was thinking about, but since then a friend has told me they're dirt and the reliability is awful so wont be going anywhere near them.

I know I was saying Eircom was a no no but in terms of all round reliability would it be the safest thing?

Advertisement