Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsubscribe from Sky

Options
  • 13-10-2010 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭

Recent cost-cutting measures in the Class household mean that we're thinking of knocking the ol Sky subscription on the head.

We have it about 5 years now & have just the very basic package. No movies, Sky +, etc.

What's the procedure for this & do we receive any channels once the subscribtion's been 'cut'?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Recent cost-cutting measures in the Class household mean that we're thinking of knocking the ol Sky subscription on the head.

We have it about 5 years now & have just the very basic package. No movies, Sky +, etc.

What's the procedure for this & do we receive any channels once the subscribtion's been 'cut'?

Thanks in advance.
    Contact Sky to give them the 31 days notice to cancel. You keep all the FTA channels. To see what they are, take your card out now to check it. Might work best if you turn off the box first, remove the card, and then turn it back on to get the UK EPG, as that will move the ITV's etc onto the main EPG. When you've seen what you're left with, just put your card back in and after a few minutes you should be back to normal with the usual EPG, until your subscription runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Johnmb wrote: »
    Contact Sky to give them the 31 days notice to cancel. You keep all the FTA channels. To see what they are, take your card out now to check it. Might work best if you turn off the box first, remove the card, and then turn it back on to get the UK EPG, as that will move the ITV's etc onto the main EPG. When you've seen what you're left with, just put your card back in and after a few minutes you should be back to normal with the usual EPG, until your subscription runs out.
    I presume that Stained Class knows that he will lose all of the Irish stations when he unsubscribes from Sky and will need a uhf aerial with a masthead amp or booster, an MPEG4 Level4 settop box or a suitable IDTV? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

With respect to the OP, good God has this not been covered on so many previous occassions and a quick search would have provided all the answers...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

FREETV wrote: »
    will need a uhf aerial with a masthead amp or booster

That is not the case for everyone. For example a UHF aerial on its own in the attic is proving to be more than adequate for me.

slave1, why not report the thread if it is that troublesome for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

FREETV wrote: »
    I presume that Stained Class knows that he will lose all of the Irish stations when he unsubscribes from Sky
    Well, if he wasn't already aware, it would become obvious when he removed his card to see what channels are available.
    and will need a uhf aerial with a masthead amp or booster,
    That depends where he is, I can access them clear as day with just a basic aerial that came with an old mini TV that I no longer have, except in the kitchen, which needs a full, modern set of rabbit ears that cost me nearly €10 in Argos!
    an MPEG4 Level4 settop box or a suitable IDTV? :)
    If he doesn't have this, and actually wants to watch RTE 1/2, TV3 and/or TG4, then it just means that sometime between now and the end of 2012 (assuming there are no delays) he'll have to spend about €90 on a set top box. Plenty of time to decide, and to shop around. Chances are he'll pick up an adequate STB up a lot cheaper, once they start being readily supplied to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 KerryTech

I did do a search on boards.ie and did not really find an answer to what seems to me to be a simple question. Like "Class", I have basic SKY service and wan't to drop the monthly subscription fee. If I cancel with SKY, what will I still receive using the existing Dish and Sky box?? I only spend part of the year in Ireland (county Kerry) and can't just "try" things with my Skybox (like taking out the card) when I'm not there. Let me know if I should be posting this somewhere else.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

KerryTech wrote: »
    Let me know if I should be posting this somewhere else.

Thanks

you are in the right place.

The easiest way to find what you will have is to remove your sky viewing card and restart the digibox. That will give you the default UK EPG which includes channels such as ITV and Channel 4. The only channel missing from the list is Channel 5 but that can be tuned in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

ive tried to do this, removed card, plugged out sky box, plugged back in

it reverts to my normal ROI EPG even though no viewing card is in the box, i cant view any channels, as it asks to insert a card

but i want to see what channels would be on it, any ideas why its not reverting to the UK EPG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

BArra wrote: »
    ive tried to do this, removed card, plugged out sky box, plugged back in

it reverts to my normal ROI EPG even though no viewing card is in the box, i cant view any channels, as it asks to insert a card

but i want to see what channels would be on it, any ideas why its not reverting to the UK EPG?

OP here.

Thanks for the replies lads.

Taking the card out was the obvious move alright. I didn't think of it. Doh!

Worse still, I'm an ex Aerial Rigger/Dish installer, though I've been out of the game for the last 15 years.

Anyhoo, I took out the card & had a fairly similar result to the poster I quoted.

I was left with the ROI EPG, but still had my BBCs ITV but no C4. All the Irish stations were gone too.

TBH, I'd be happy with the Irish channels along with BBC & ITV.

I know I can get the Irish stuff with a Rabbit Ears but I understand that terrestrial transmissions are finishing in the foreseeable.

Any way of keeping RTE on the Skybox after the subscribstion's been cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

OP here.

Anyhoo, I took out the card & had a fairly similar result to the poster I quoted.

I was left with the ROI EPG, but still had my BBCs ITV but no C4. All the Irish stations were gone too.

TBH, I'd be happy with the Irish channels along with BBC & ITV.

I know I can get the Irish stuff with a Rabbit Ears but I understand that terrestrial transmissions are finishing in the foreseeable.

Any way of keeping RTE on the Skybox after the subscribstion's been cut?
    Once you unplug Skybox for a while or press the red button on bbc1/sky news etc. you will lose the ROI EPG . This gives a few more channels on the neater London EPG incl. C4, BBC3, ITV2 etc. An expired NI sky card or similar gets you c5. If NI card used, RTE1,2 and TG4 will be on your EPG but scrambled except for aertel/text. No alternative except analogue for now til 2012 or DTT going forward for the Irish channels. Aerial probably needed unless very near local transmitter.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

i had the pleasure of giving sky the boot this afternoon, i gave them two reasons, one the price difference, two they were chargeing me a fiver for the pleasure of paying thro the post office, they offered me the same package for 26 euro and they would waive the fiver, i gladly refused, i explained when enough irish customers followed my example they would treat every customer the same, i am moveing to upc, their basic package should suit our needs, if not we will take a look at their 2nd package, hopefully the few lids saved will go into the credit union every month and will be there in 12 months time for whatever we decide to do with it plus the 50 lid voucher for athlantic homecare will be put to good use.

Once you unplug Skybox for a while or press the red button on bbc1/sky news etc. you will lose the ROI EPG . This gives a few more channels on the neater London EPG incl. C4, BBC3, ITV2 etc. An expired NI sky card or similar gets you c5. If NI card used, RTE1,2 and TG4 will be on your EPG but scrambled except for aertel/text. No alternative except analogue for now til 2012 or DTT going forward for the Irish channels. Aerial probably needed unless very near local transmitter.:(

Thanks.

I unplugged the skybox from the wall, took out the card & swiched it back on.

Hey Presto! The UK EPG showed up. I have all the BBCs ITVs & C4 now.

Thanks for the info lads.
    We'll leave it like this for a few days & if we miss all the Sky channels, we'll keep paying for them.

If not they'll get the chop.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I left Sky last August just before the Sky world package went from €73 to €76per month, which in my view was far too expensive, given the amount of repeats, adverts and the fact that you also needed subs to Setanta and ESPN to get about 80% of the premiership matches that I would want to see.

Sky offered 20% off for a year / 25% off for six months / a new Sky + box if we stayed with them. Of course, being greedy I asked for the 20% AND the sky + box. They, being sky and far more greedy that I could ever aspire to being, said "NO"! So sub was cancelled.

TBH I am managing just fine without it. Knowing that I have €76 per month kept from sky, gives a certain satisfaction in its own right.

Now, in the last couple of days I had a letter from Sky inviting me to come back and offering any package for 1/2 price for 12 months.

IMO €38 per month is all I would ever have thought the full Sky World package was worth so its kinda tempting, if I could just get over the thought of all those flippin adverts and repeats........ or get that elusive Sky+ box as well !!!!

Have until 7th November or something to go for it..... or wait and see does it get better!! :D

Avns1s wrote: »
    I left Sky last August just before the Sky world package went from €73 to €76per month, which in my view was far too expensive, given the amount of repeats, adverts and the fact that you also needed subs to Setanta and ESPN to get about 80% of the premiership matches that I would want to see.

Sky offered 20% off for a year / 25% off for six months / a new Sky + box if we stayed with them. Of course, being greedy I asked for the 20% AND the sky + box. They, being sky and far more greedy that I could ever aspire to being, said "NO"! So sub was cancelled.

TBH I am managing just fine without it. Knowing that I have €76 per month kept from sky, gives a certain satisfaction in its own right.

Now, in the last couple of days I had a letter from Sky inviting me to come back and offering any package for 1/2 price for 12 months.

IMO €38 per month is all I would ever have thought the full Sky World package was worth so its kinda tempting, if I could just get over the thought of all those flippin adverts and repeats........ or get that elusive Sky+ box as well !!!!

Have until 7th November or something to go for it..... or wait and see does it get better!! :D

I see what you mean there.

TBH,I'd see them doing that alright.

Myself & the good lady Class are both working & are earning okay money.

Trouble is, of course is that we've a lot of outgoings such as mortgage, childcare, etc..

Not many like us could justify an extra bill like this, when you can get so much for free.

Sky can see that too, so, they're trying to hold on to as many victims (sorry customers!) as they possibly can.

Thanks to all & I'm glad I posted on this.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

The pricing on SKY is quite clever.I've nothing against them, compared to years ago at least people have great multi-channel options nowadays. I have a basic sky package still mainly for the convenience of sky+ recording of RTEs. Sky + is the clincher. It is also v.handy to upgrade when kids come to Panto in Dublin or Heineken Cup gets interesting etc. and for Mrs Old days recording nationwide, mart and market etc. It's very user friendly compared to Technomates etc. However I think RTE on a saorview tv with some sort of usb recording plus a freesat HD box could make a good FTA long term alternative.It's not as convenient and is costly one off howevericon9.gif. You could get a sky+ box easily off ebay/adverts for 50 euro or less and still have reduced subs......icon7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I got the same letter yesterday. I'm very tempted to send it back with a note asking"could they come back in 12 months time and offer all their Irish customers the same as they do their UK customers & charge the same price" I have a funny feeling that they will come back again at some stage when they see the increasing number of cancellations going through. Rip-off merchants is too kind a phrase for them:(

Advertisement