Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clinical Psychology fees

Options
  • 13-10-2010 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I was looking at the TCD Clinical Psychology webpage and discovered that the fee per year is around €13,000. I thought that clinical psychology students got paid circa €40,000 PA. Does anyone know if students have to pay these fees themselves and do students get an annual income.

I'd appreciate it if someone could put me straight on this

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

My understanding is that students now have to pay university fees in full (in previous years the HSE paid 60% and the student paid 40%), but do receive a salary around 35,000 to start. I also understand that after qualification, students are returned part of the fees for each year they work for the HSE (typically the contract includes working for the HSE for 3 years post-qualification).

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Is the only way of doing a clinical phd through the HSE? I'm in my first year of psychology and hoping to do clinical psychology. How does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kitkat.3b4t

fionav3 wrote: »
    Is the only way of doing a clinical phd through the HSE? I'm in my first year of psychology and hoping to do clinical psychology. How does it work?

Thanks for your reply Bluesky. It seems that due to the resession and the €50 billion owed etc that students have to pay the full 13K themselves.

In answer to fionav3, yes the only way to get a doctorate in clinical psychology in Ireland, is by completing a recognized university courses, where your placements will be sponsored by the HSE. However you still have to pay (eg. TCD circa 13K per year) but you will recieve around €35K per year while training.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

In answer to fionav3, yes the only way to get a doctorate in clinical psychology in Ireland, is by completing a recognized university courses, where your placements will be sponsored by the HSE. However you still have to pay (eg. TCD circa 13K per year) but you will recieve around €35K per year while training.

Thanks Kitkat.

Advertisement