Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for making a Music Video

Options
  • 13-10-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi guys, I am soon to shoot my first music video, I have a good bit of experience but mainly just skateboarding and film shorts.

So I was just wondering if anybody has any tips for me? I really want this to come out good!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ahbegob

Greetings castlebar- am from there myself

First- get music right. Both quality and legally. If you are going to put work into it- make sure you are allowed- unless you just want it for family use.

Second camera work. Skateboarding (if this is being used) and other shooting will be very dull if only shot from a tripod. A sequence comes alive if the camera work is dynamic ie have some shots made using an operator in a wheelchair (a very handy dolly); work out some way of securing the camera to side of car/skateboard whatever for dramatic action shots

Other hints include using a variety of angles- some very low and some from buildings

Finally, a shoot is made of killed in the editing room. Generally shots are long if the pace of the film is langorous- but short if something more heart stopping is required.

Finally- one man (person) bands are generally a mistake- you as a director might try and work around a problem in the script you wrote- a director who has no emotional attachment to the script will just cut the problem scene and your work will be the better for it. So decide what you want to do and get others ie DoP, Producer or whatever. Worst short film I ever saw had about two dozen credits- featuring both of the two main movers in every production role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chatterboxes

If you download the new version of Windows Movie Maker, it's awfully better at editing. It has all new text graphics and all. I recommend you check it out!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

stay clear of movie maker....which is crap. Plan the story you want to tell, storyboard the shots to the music. The run the soundtrack music over and over again taking the shots/angles you want. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Good advice so far. Definately develop a theme i.e. sport / anarchy / speed / skill / danger etc, get a feeling for what you want to put across, be passionate about this. Have a 'vision' in your head and then 'see' the music that could work with the action.

I once chose jimmy hendrixs purple haze to work with a story and it just worked.

Then as mentioned storyboard it, build the storyboard in rough sketches as a sequence of actions and clever transitions imagine the action working around the suited music.

the editing should come easy after that as a technical process. The tech these days will provide anything free or otherwise to realise your initial vision.

Advertisement