Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Phase to Three Phase

Options
  • 13-10-2010 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I was hoping you could help.
    I am looking to drive a 3ph electric motor (on a temporary basis only) which is on a conveyor I am about to use for a while, but I have only a normal domestic 1ph connection to my house.
    Can someone please tell me, in order to drive this 3ph motor, do i need to get a special connection from the ESB, or is there some way / device i can get to allow my normal connection to run this motor? Maybe a 1 ph to 3 ph convertor?

Your help much appreciated.

thanks,
    Jo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 willyqat

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I am looking to drive a 3ph electric motor (on a temporary basis only) which is on a conveyor I am about to use for a while, but I have only a normal domestic 1ph connection to my house.
    Can someone please tell me, in order to drive this 3ph motor, do i need to get a special connection from the ESB, or is there some way / device i can get to allow my normal connection to run this motor? Maybe a 1 ph to 3 ph convertor?

thanks,
    Jo.
    you could use a running capacitor to run it temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

What about a single to three phase inverter?

If the motor isnt very big an inverter would work fine and give you variable speed control.
    For more info see here :
    http://www.drivesdirect.co.uk/how_to_choose.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi All,

thanks,
    Jo.
    What size is the motor in KW or HP? If its a small enough conveyor you should be able to use a small inverter. In RS the cheapest invertor is about €110, probably can be gotten cheaper in some wholesalers.

willyqat wrote: »
    you could use a running capacitor to run it temporary.
    Very useful first post, care to elaborate a little more?

Advertisement