Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire or Galaxy on vodafone

Options
  • 13-10-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

So I have an upgrade available on vodafone and I was going to order a galaxy today when I spotted that the Desire is also available to me as of this afternoon (which it wasn't this morning).

This has me torn now over what to order.
    The Desire is 70 euro more expensive...is it worth it?
    Why does the vodafone say the Desire is running android 2.1? Hasn't the Froyo update been released for the Desire on Vodafone already?
    The Galaxy is 2.1 also and awaiting a forever delayed update to 2.2.
    The desire seems to have a better build quality than the galaxy which feels/looks very plasticy..or am I wrong about this?

I already have a tattoo and like Sense..not that familiar with wiz (or whatever it is called) on the samsung other than a few minutes playing with it in a shop. Is there that big a difference between them to warrant the 70 euro extra for the Desire?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

I can vouch for the galaxy s.
    Both phones have very similar innards, but the Samsung has an additional graphics processor which may be a plus point for you.
    If you've held both, for a lot of people it comes down to liking the extra weight and lesser screen quality of the desire. ;)
    Launcher pro gives you many options for the homescreen and widgets if the stock doesn't suit you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

No Camera flash on the Samsung would be an absolute deal breaker for me.

O/P is the Desire HD off the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Desire HD not available yet. Plus it will probably be rediculously expensive when it does come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I have the HTC desire and I love it , best phone I've ever had (in fact I'm using it now to write this,even though I have a laptop :D). I've used both phones and which ever one you get you'll be happy with it. The desire may be more expensive but I think its worth it.

There are many pros and cons to each, the desire has a better software OS layer then the galaxy , though the galaxy has better hardware ( amoled screen and graphics system )

The desire has a nicer build quality it feels solid in the hand , while i feel the galaxy is made of cheap plastic.

The galaxy has a larger screen so its nice to watch movies or surf the internet but the desire has the same resolution so you won't be missing any detail.

I know I'm a bit biased since I own a desire and all but it didn't win phone of the year for nothing ;)Link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Has to be the Desire for sheer build quality and sleekness. Held a Galaxy S last week and it felt so cheap and tacky, only thing is it has better internal memory, but if you root and use apps2sd you should be ok on the Desire.

• Advertisement

The memory is an issue alright with the desire. I don't want to root whatever I get so right now I am swaying towards the galaxy purely for its memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

I went through this and ended up choosing the Desire. thrilled with phone so far - it is amazing.

Here is a not very organised brain dump on sgs vs desire...

SGS is very large. make sure you try it in your hand and pocket first.

Apparently GPS on SGS does not work great. People are saying it is an electronics design fault, and may not be fixable by software updates. turn by turn navigation works perfectly for me with the desire.

SGS has lots of reported bugs and issues, much more than desire.

The body on HTC looks cooler. SGS body looks like an iphone wannabe. Beware very short battery on both of them!

The build quality of the HTC is very impressive.

Screen is better on SGS (larger and more vibrant apparently). But the screen on the desire is so good, I doubt you will be disappointed. and resolution is the same.

Internal storage is better on SGS (8 or 16gb), on the Desire it is very very limited, and this limits the amount of apps you can install even if you have a large sd card (not all apps support app2sd). If you get the SGS get the 16gb model which will have a free card slot. Dont accept the 8gb internal +8gb card as the same thing!

Samsung dont have a great history for supporting devices that are in the field. whereas htc have some history there. (but with their current speed of new releases from htc that might not last).

Desire has slightly more RAM.

Desire has a LED for notifications.

SGS has no LED flash, but led flashes are not good anyway.

SGS has a front facing camera (but skype video calling is not yet on android).

Desire has won loads of awards.

Either way you are getting one of the top three phones out there today - Iphone 4, sgs, desire.

If you get the SGS get the 16gb model which will have a free card slot. Dont accept the 8gb internal +8gb card as the same thing!

I could've sworn i read that VF in the UK are doing the 16gb internal model...

...but on the VF IE site, i think it said 8gb internal.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

VF IE were doing 16gb model, but they ran out of stock, so for the same price you could get 8gb internal+8gb card - inferior product! Maybe they have them back in stock now.

p.s. i believe normal skype does not yet work with SGS

The VF one that was in stock up to yesterday was the 8gb model with an 8gb card. That would be fine by me to be honest but they are out of stock now though so there is nothing available.

I hate upgrading....damn decisions.

Definitely swaying to the Galaxy now...reasons being memory and I already have a HTC Tattoo. The Desire is just a bigger more powerful brother of this. So I won't notice any major change. The Galaxy would be a different UI on it so something new to play with. This may be a silly reason but hey...half the novelty of a new phone is playing with it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Ludo wrote: »

This has me torn now over what to order.
    The Desire is 70 euro more expensive...is it worth it?
    Why does the vodafone say the Desire is running android 2.1? Hasn't the Froyo update been released for the Desire on Vodafone already?
    The Galaxy is 2.1 also and awaiting a forever delayed update to 2.2.
    The desire seems to have a better build quality than the galaxy which feels/looks very plasticy..or am I wrong about this?

Interesting, im on vodafone bill pay, eligible for an upgrade and checked this afternoon and they quoted me cheaper for the Desire!!!

Vodafone have both now, will give me 100€ trade in for the N958gb
    HTC Desire will cost me 69€
    Samsung Galaxy will cost me 100€

Im inclined to take the HTC on an 18 month contract, what think people, which to go for?
    Charles

To each their own, but if it were me, i'd take the Desire.
    bogman wrote: »

Vodafone have both now, will give me 100€ trade in for the N958gb

Bit O/T but i didn't know VF shops took trade ins.

Advertisement