Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Somewhere to get brake discs/pads done inexpensively?

Options
  • 13-10-2010 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

So the brakes literally stopped working on the headford road roundabout today.. got the shock of my life. They had been goin metal on metal for a week or so now so I should've gotten them fixed before this.

Anyway, so I'm fairly sure I need to get the brake pads and discs replaced... advanced pitstop have quoted me €230 to get it done. Is that reasonable or overpriced? I'm driving a 98 Honda Civic and he said they were the same make as the originals would've been?

If anyone knows of any cheaper places to get it done in Galway city I'd appreciate you letting me know. Don't really have 230 lying around the house!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

pateenk wrote: »
    So the brakes literally stopped working on the headford road roundabout today.. got the shock of my life. They had been goin metal on metal for a week or so now so I should've gotten them fixed before this.

Anyway, so I'm fairly sure I need to get the brake pads and discs replaced... advanced pitstop have quoted me €230 to get it done. Is that reasonable or overpriced? I'm driving a 98 Honda Civic and he said they were the same make as the originals would've been?

If anyone knows of any cheaper places to get it done in Galway city I'd appreciate you letting me know. Don't really have 230 lying around the house!

Cheers
    i'm afraid that all parts for Japanese cars are expensive ask them the price for just the parts then try to haggle with them over the fitting of them you might get it down to 150 if your very lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Cheers

Its not an overly crazy price, depends on what has to be done and the price of the parts.

Changed the front Pads + Discs on mine last week for 160 euros inc tools.

Wouldnt go near Advanced sh*tstop with a dirty stick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Cheers

Depends really, you're best bet is to try and source the parts yourself, you'll definitly be able to find them cheaper then advance pitstop will charge you, then just get a quote for fitting, probably in the area of 50 euro, should save you probably 100ish here, ebay is a good place to start looking for the pads + disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Viper_JB wrote: »
    ebay is a good place to start looking for the pads + disks.

No way .. too much counterfeit stuff on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

They had been goin metal on metal for a week or so now so I should've gotten them fixed before this.

You have been a very bold boy.

Anyway, have you tried a good motorfactors for parts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pateenk

Cheers for all the responses. Been in touch with a mechanic friend who said its too expensive too.. he said 160 is more realistic.

I've been on to a couple of places but they said they only fit them and I need to get the parts myself. Quoted 50 euro to have them fitted which seems about right.

With regards to getting them, I've been told of a good place in the mean time out by the Galway shopping centre so I'll have a look in there tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

Damn right you should have. You're lucky a shock is all you (or somebody else) got.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

Tom Slick wrote: »
    Damn right you should have. You're lucky a shock is all you (or somebody else) got.

Do us a favour and get off your high horse.:rolleyes:

Its advice he came here looking for not criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

Its advice he came here looking for not criticism.

It's advice for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pateenk

Tom Slick wrote: »
    It's advice for the future.

Well I thank you for your gracious, wise words. They were, indeed, something I had not thought of myself... let's hope next time this happens I'm not as stuck for cash! :)

Anyway, thanks for all of the information people - I am getting them sorted for about 160 at another repair centre.

Cheers!

Advertisement