Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tawny Owl

Options
  • 13-10-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

Listened to 2 Tawny Owls for quite some time last night and the night before.

Very beautiful.

In UK btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

its amazing how that species never made the short trip from scotland to ireland.
    Maybe we have more long eared owls and barn owls here as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Not really that amazing. We have no voles and fewer rodents in general. I believe it was once intoduced in Ulster but failed to stay or survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I always thought it was because Tawny owls didnt like to fly distances over water.
    Do long eared owls & barn owls not depend on rodents as much?
    Or are they more recent arrivals in the last 1000 years, since people brought over mice and rats?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Ireland has Bank Voles, though in fairness not in the NE I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Connacht wrote: »
    Ireland has Bank Voles, though in fairness not in the NE I think.

Hardly common. Accidentally introduced in the SW some time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I see some tweets about a reported dead Tawny Owl found in an industrial estate in Belfast. Also mention of a woman in Coleraine I think it was claiming she has one on her land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

Advertisement