Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gift ideas for children who have everything?

Options
  • 13-10-2010 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

My nieces and nephew have a loads of toys, loads of aunts,uncles and cousins with whom they share toys and clothes. I honestly don't think there's any gift, christmas or birthday that they'd appreciate. I had thought of a charity food parcel but theyr'e betwen 2 and 6 and woulldn't understand. I'm not sure if a 5 Euro note would be allowed.

Any ideas?.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A cinema/zoo/somewhere they can go voucher for the family?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

I bring my nieces & nephews to a local panto every year - they love it and are fully aware that this is their pressie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Thanks...the cinema voucher sounds good...I live a long way away so would be unable to accompany them to a panto...although it is a good idea:)...but I'm sure I could buy a family cinema voucher...could act as a present for the parents too....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Do people buy them books? Books tend to get overlooked, I always buy my godson books because he gets games and stuff off everyone else. I know it might sound boring, but it's good to get them into books when they're young, even audio ones :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I agree about books!...Yes they have loads....the problem is the nest of cousins all nearby and of similar ages....and everything is passed around...isn't that there's exceptional wealth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

you can never have too much chocolate or goodie bags!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

why not get them to gather up some of their old toys and make a game of it - say that you need to make room for santa this year so they have to get rid of some of their old toys. Then bring them to an Enable Shop or Simon or one of those places who would probably be only too delighted to receive them.

then you won't feel so bad about getting something frivolous for a child that has everything at christmas.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Moved to gift ideas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Sounds like they have a lot of second hand stuff, why not something new?

at ages 2 and 6 an extra barbie doll or a few extra cars wont break the bank and its not a hand me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

I'd agree with books... otherwise if they're in or near Dublin they might like a trip to Imaginosity - http://www.imaginosity.ie

I know my 4 year old loved her day there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Durhamstown1

Freiheit wrote: »
    My nieces and nephew have a loads of toys, loads of aunts,uncles and cousins with whom they share toys and clothes. I honestly don't think there's any gift, christmas or birthday that they'd appreciate. I had thought of a charity food parcel but theyr'e betwen 2 and 6 and woulldn't understand. I'm not sure if a 5 Euro note would be allowed.

Any ideas?.

Not sure if this is of any use but there's a show in the RDS next July aimed at kids called Dinosaur Petting Zoo. I saw an ad for it in the Star and there's a pretty nifty Youtube clip about it. Being the aunty, you could get the double brownie points for taking them there when it takes place!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

books books and more books

the oscar wilde childrens collection is an brilliant book and his stories are gorgeous - i love them:o:o

you can also get books that are personalised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dublin guitar camp

id get dem something musical, it cud open p a new world to dem

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

Make and Do sets, anything that involves creativity kids will really enjoy and these types of gifts tend to be passed around less as the bits get used. My little one will spend hours and hours with a bit of card, glitter, glue and paints (she is 4 and has loved it for 2 years now). We encourage her to make "gifts" for friends / grand parents / aunts / uncles etc with hers so also encourages sharing.

Advertisement