Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaraunts in Naas

Options
  • 13-10-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭

Hi - I am looking to go to either Vie De Chateaux or Mash in the Osprey for dinner for 2. Looking for something a little romantic with nice ambience.

Can anyone recommend one over the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

I'm not a frequent going to either!! but the food guy from the indo praised mash (especially the early bird) recently. As for the Vie De Chateaux only been there a couple of times (not recently) and have always left questioning what all the fuss was about. I'd only go there again when a special priced menu was on etc.

not sure if this was helpful due to my absence from either place!!

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Have been to both and personnally prefer Vie de Chateaux. the food in MASH is good, but the atmosphere in Vie is more intimate. They have a great wine list too. Have a look at The Brown Bear too, its in Two mile house, really great place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

Thanks guys/gals. I think I might try Vie. MY sis reckons the Brown bear is better but I think Ill stay local...local just this weekend. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Allow me to throw Il Fico into the mix also. I dont usually dine in restaurants (what with me being more of a connosour of fine asian takeaways!) but the couple of times Ive tried Il Fico I was very impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Vie de Chateaux has some great food. Some of the dishes like the red mullet are amazing because they have so many other small flavours and things on the plate.

In fairness Vie is probably my favourite for the food, such great attention to detail and the again the flavours and tastes are top notch.

But its not that intimate in there if you are looking for that kind of thing, you can often end up sitting right up to other tables etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

another option is Las Radas tapas restaurant opposite indie spice.

they frequently have music, food is good, as is the wine

romantic and informal

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

Vie all the way for food and ambience

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

Been to both and VIE wins by a clear mile..
    Nice, cosy atmosphere, delicious food, great service.... Really a standout in Naas. I'd normally only go to Maudlins Hotel as well in Naas, other restaurants didnt really do it for me.
    I will say, the standard does come at a price but defo worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I don't know if it's too far out of Naas for You, but I would like to throw the name Palmerstown House (Johnstown) into the hat also.

For me, its perfect for a romantic evening, and the food is superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Have been to almost every half decent place around Naas and the outskirts (but have avoided Mash because I heard it was not great, but may go there soon)

Vie De Chateaux is probably the best of the lot imho. Food was tremendous and the atmosphere could not have been better.
    The only two places that came close in terms of food was Sola and the Kilashee Hotel.
    Kilashee has gone downhill over the last number of years and is now just average.
    Sola is great but I don't like the room - its too loud, and the menu is very small. Great food though.

My next trip out will definitely be to The Vie De Chateaux.

• Advertisement

Any opinion on the TRAX Brasserie (old storehouse)?

Cheers

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Vie de Chateaux is nice food, but the seating is too crammed. I went there with my wife and we didn't feel comfortable conversing as we could easily here the entire conversations of the couples each side of us.

I ate in the Osprey once and won't be rushing back.

Brown Bear is good, a tad over priced and the menu needs to be updated since I was last there, (around Feb/Mar I think).

Trax is good, same owner as Tenors, but more upmarket. Not to dissimilar to its former self.

Tenors is grand. Nothing bad nor great about it.

I like The Chilli Clubs food, but the place is always so quiet, I'm not sure why. If they could just get the numbers up and improve the ambience it would be great.

Las Radas is my current favourite. Lovely ambience, good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Las Rada is intimate and fun but not really serious eating. The food is good and the wine is better. Enjoyed it every time.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Thought Vie De Chateaux over-rated TBH.....it's certainly a nice restaurant but I thought it way too pricey from an overall "value" perspective.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Any opinion on the TRAX Brasserie (old storehouse)?

Was in Trax last week and was really impressed. The food was lovely, with generous portions, and reasonable value at 30 euro for a three course meal.

Anybody been to the newly open fish and chip shop (jimmy's??)

Really hope they do a good job on it, nothing like a fresh cod and chips..

W.

Jurys still out,

No cod just haddock, so tried their fish goujons which were nice. But the chips weren't what you'd call real chipper chips, seemed a bit too well done/cooked for my taste

I've heard its being run by the Chinese that was previously there. We'll wait and see but as things stand it wont be a place I'll frequent..

W

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

the chipper in Monread still does great chips...also the one beside the Spar...think they are owned by same lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭granturismo

convert wrote: »
    Was in Trax last week and was really impressed. The food was lovely, ...

Also recommend Trax

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Ate in Kavanaghs last night. Not impressed. The service was meh and the food was boring. We had 3 different deserts between the four of us and none of us could taste a thing. Absolutely no flavour. The €170 bill compounded the misery of an awful meal.
    Back to Trax next time.

• Advertisement

Had a meal in there over the holidays. Have to say their price point for the food is about right for the set menus. I had mine with the steak option (+€4) and have to say it was the best steak I've had out in a longtime. The meat & fat just melted in the mouth.

W.

Advertisement