Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal insulated dry lining along wall with stairs

Options
  • 13-10-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone else faced this problem and what did they do?

I want to put a lot of insulation on the external wall that the stairs runs along. (using the sei grant)

I believe the the stairs must be kept at 80cm wide. but is that measured at the step itself, the handrail, headheight? all of the above?

There is a "detail" along the side of the stairs (basically a solid piece of timber that runs top to bottom of the stairs, and seems to be a basic part of the frame of the stairs.

The simplest job would seem to be to aim for a little short of flush of this detail, but It does not allow me much insulation on the wall.

Would it be wise or possible to extend the insulated plasterboard beyond this piece of timber? so it comes down directly onto the steps. It would seem to be a very difficult / impossible / labour intensive job to fit and "finish" this, as there would be a lot of cutting of the board to go around each step!

What about having a recess in the insulated plasterboard to allow me to put less insulation down low, and more insulation up high? Would it look strange?

Thanks,

Sean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

There is a "detail" along the side of the stairs (basically a solid piece of timber that runs top to bottom of the stairs, and seems to be a basic part of the frame of the stairs.

It is indeed.

The simplest job would seem to be to aim for a little short of flush of this detail, but It does not allow me much insulation on the wall.

Indeed again :)

Would it be wise or possible to extend the insulated plasterboard beyond this piece of timber? so it comes down directly onto the steps. It would seem to be a very difficult / impossible / labour intensive job to fit and "finish" this, as there would be a lot of cutting of the board to go around each step!

In fact it wouldn't be all that difficult to cut neatly and step the back of the board to account for the frame. You wouldn't want to leave plasterboard as a finish that close to the step though - so would be advised to re-line with wood so that it looks like it does now. It doesn't have to be very thick - even 10mm thick would do. And it's not very difficult to cut to shape to finish neatly

What about having a recess in the insulated plasterboard to allow me to put less insulation down low, and more insulation up high? Would it look strange?

Ugh!

* check out what the various insulation types are. You might want "loads of insulation" but it can be that a hi-tech insultation will do in half the thickness what eg: polystyrene will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

I will certainly look for the most performing insulation to put along the stairs, in order to get the best performance with the limited space! At the moment that is Kingspan k-18, but I have not done a wide search yet.

I did read about Spacetherm Aerogel Thermal Insulation, but I believe it is expensive!

Advertisement