Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Canon 450D with Speedlite 430EXII Off Camera Flash

Options
  • 13-10-2010 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I have a Canon 450D and the Speedlite 430EXII but I'm having problems using it as off camera flash.

I have setup the flash as a Slave on Channel A by holding down the ZOOM button for 2 seconds.

I was told that the on-board camera flash would trigger the slave but this is not happening ... am I missing a step in my setup?

Any Advice or tips appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I don't know about canon, but I fire my speedlight sometimes by using Repeat flash mode, even though anywhere I look up it suggests Commander [this mode fires it, but not in sync, for me] I set the flash to slave 1 and pop the flash and it fires up to a good distance, indoors at least.

I'm using a Nikon cam with a Yongnuo speedlight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If the flash is the slave, then you need some master to trigger it.

There is no in-camera master to trigger the flash.

You need to get a Canon ST-E2 trigger, or some other trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

If you're not placing the flash a distance from the camera, you can get hot shoe cables on ebay pretty cheap. I got one, but it's far too short, alright for arm's length firing, but you can get ones a few metres long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

smdweb wrote: »
    I have a Canon 450D and the Speedlite 430EXII but I'm having problems using it as off camera flash.

I have setup the flash as a Slave on Channel A by holding down the ZOOM button for 2 seconds.

I was told that the on-board camera flash would trigger the slave but this is not happening ... am I missing a step in my setup?

Any Advice or tips appreciated!

The only Canon body with a built-in flash controller is the 7D
    So you will need a flash controller as Paulw suggests

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Fairly hand to pick up remote triggers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    The only Canon body with a built-in flash controller is the 7D

Many Thanks to everyone for the updates !
    I thought the 450D had such a facility.
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I have some of these that I got from Gadgetinfinity. They cost about eu40. They have a good range, but occasionally fire the flash spontaneously.
    Other than that they work perfectly. You might find that these or something similar would be useful.

Regards,

-Foxt

Advertisement