Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I fit a gas boiler under the stairs - drawing included

Options
  • 13-10-2010 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi There,

Will it be possible to fit a gas boiler in this space under the stairs?

The space is 930mm tall, and 530 wide. I have a little bit more space above due to the extra step, and I could gain a bit of space below, due to the raised timber floor.

Thanks a lot,

Sean.

Will it fit? 0 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If your boiler fits i cannot see why not... Just one question where is the flow and return pipe going to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

The boiler could go on the back wall, or the stud wall.

I think you are meant to leave clearance around the boiler and you need space for pipes and maybe valves etc.,

Several plumbers have said that it is not really possible, as it will not be serviceable, as the space is too tight.

But in my house this is really where I would like it to go.

I was wondering if I went for non system boiler, would it fit, as then the boiler would be smaller (I guess?)

flow+return would go down below the raised timber floor. and/or else along the external wall behind insulated board, till it passes the crease in the ceiling, and then up into the ceiling and over to the hot tank. Ceilings are already down. so both options are easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Theres a couple of boilers available in non system ,worcester Ri and glowworm flexicom.

It's also possible in some houses to run the pipes inside the staircase ,usually cutting a small piece from the joists at the top of the stairs means you can get pipes down.

Glow worm boilers also have the option of a rear exit flue ,this saves about six or seven inches in height.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Theres a couple of boilers available in non system ,worcester Ri and glowworm flexicom.

It's also possible in some houses to run the pipes inside the staircase ,usually cutting a small piece from the joists at the top of the stairs means you can get pipes down.

Glow worm boilers also have the option of a rear exit flue ,this saves about six or seven inches in height.

Gloworm and the boiler that is slipping my mind but use to be done by Davies both have a rear entry

Glowworm has always been good for parts...I sometimes wonder if this is a good thing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Gloworm and the boiler that is slipping my mind but use to be done by Davies both have a rear entry

Glowworm has always been good for parts...I sometimes wonder if this is a good thing. :)

Glowworm condensing boilers are pretty reliable ,I've only installed about twenthy of them ,but haven't had to callback to any.

Ideal is davies boiler I think ,only really buy plumbing gear there:(

• Advertisement

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Glowworm condensing boilers are pretty reliable ,I've only installed about twenthy of them ,but haven't had to callback to any.

Ideal is davies boiler I think ,only really buy plumbing gear there:(

Ideal...That was it... Although glow worm it would have to be for me.... But then again....

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

Thanks for the feedback

I was looking at a Viessmann Vitodens 100-W (system) it is 725 x 400 x 340
    glowworm flexicom sx (it's a system one though) is 700 h x390 w x 280 d
    Worcester Greenstar Ri is 600mm h x 390 w x 270 deep - they say it fits in a standard kitchen cabinet!

Worcester wins on smallest package;-)

Assuming the easiest way for it to be serviced is to install it on the solid wall, with the front of it looking out into the hall.

I have 530 wide, and it is 390 wide.
    I have 930 high, and it is 600 high.

Would there be enough clearance for regulations, pipes,flue, servicing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I.S 813 Heating units located under stairs

No gas appliance shall be fitted under the stairsway of a multi-occupancy dwelling or under a stairway serving three or more storys in a single occupancy dwelling.

when locating an appliance in a in compartment, the space containing the appliance shall be a separate enclosure and it shall not contain any other combustible materials.

So yes you can put the boiler under the stairs providing that its within regulations. Its a sticky one, by right the boiler will have to be room sealed and under the stairs will have to be covered with a 30 min fire resistance material with a smoke alarm for good practice.

and remember that insurance companies will do anything in to pay out if something was wrong and your rgii would also tell you the same thing.

Advertisement