Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission

Options
  • 13-10-2010 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,

Is there any way of checking if there are any restrictions on a site, ie local restrictions/type of property that can be built on the site etc?

We have seen a very big site for a very low price with no planning permission, I just want to see if there is a reason the owner has no pp on it or if they just couldn't have been bothered getting it!

OH rang local co co yesterday but she didn't really know too much.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

It may be worth your while talking to a local architect or town planner or indeed the planner in the local council responsible for the area. they will be able to fill you in on what you can or can't build.

Its quite possible that you can't build on that site.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

contact the local architect / technician / engineer who has the most experience with local planning.

In most cases they would know more about the area than the planners, and they can fill you in on local planning history, guidelines, requirements etc.

most will do this FOC if it leads to a future application

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭observer2u

Check the development plan for relevant council. and check what zone it is in?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Hi,

Is there any way of checking if there are any restrictions on a site, ie local restrictions/type of property that can be built on the site etc?
    As Syd said above, speak to a good local Architect/Architectural Technician/Engineer.
    We have seen a very big site for a very low price with no planning permission,
    If it doesn't have planning permission it is not a site.
    I just want to see if there is a reason the owner has no pp on it or if they just couldn't have been bothered getting it!
    Any Architect/Architectural Technician/Engineer you take on can easily check that for you.
    OH rang local co co yesterday but she didn't really know too much.

Thanks
    When someone is not used to dealing with the planning department it is very difficult to get the information you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

observer2u wrote: »
    Check the development plan for relevant council. and check what zone it is in?
    100% agree. Check the land zoning in the Development Plan.
    Some Local Authorities now offer a Pre-planning service on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Another approach you can do yourself is to go to the CCs online planning website, if they have one, & do a search for the locality. Then in the map, select some of the little flags marking PPs in the area. They're colour coded so you can check rejections & permissions & all the planning documents, very useful.

I had a similar experience where a site looked very attractive, but was noticeable for the 'available as seen', i.e. not subject to PP. Once I went into the website I discovered there were a dozen sites in a strip & I think only one had ever been given FPP. The vendor was obviously fully aware of this but was never going to tell any potential buyer :mad:

Advertisement