Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Tipperary Angling Centre

Options
  • 13-10-2010 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Anybody fished here, does it open all year round and how much is a day out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Is this the place???

http://tjsangling.com/

Contact info@tjsangling.com

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭gary29428

No, apparently it's a new rainbow trout fishery located a few mile from Portumna.

Ok sorry.

Is this the place...

North Tipperary angling Centre

This is a 17 acre lake with 600m of man made river for bank fishing. The waters have been stocked with rainbow trout and pike and perch are also present. Fishing is fly only.
    Killeagh House, Ballinderry, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary
    Tel: 087 2756775

Ok ....here you go..........

Anglers hooked by new trout lake in Tipperary

Trout anglers looking for some action before the dark winter months will be assured of plenty of sport at the North Tipperary Angling Centre. Opened by local farmer Pat Stack last April, the stocked rainbow trout fishery in the scenic rural townland of Ballinderry is now beginning to make a real name for itself among keen anglers from all over Ireland and abroad.
    A crystal clear spring fed 17 acre lake on Pat’s farm contains plenty of hard fighting rainbow trout that will set rods bending to dry flies, wet flies and any type of lure that can be used with a fly rod. A canal has also being dug out beside the lake for anglers who wish to try their hand at river-type fishing. Most of the fish that went into the lake as fish of one pound last April have now doubled in weight over the summer months and there are a number of fish touching the 4lbs mark.
    The head of trout in the river and lake are in pristine condition and actually look like wild fish – and indeed fight as hard. A fishing expedition with Pat on the lake in September was truly a memorable experience. We planned to fish for four hours but the trout were feeding so well we decided to say for almost double that time. We landed and released over twenty fish that came up to our dry flies and lost at least as many trout that were not properly hooked. It was certainly a different experience than the meagre existence of trying to eke out a wild trout from nearby Lough Derg where stock numbers appear to have fallen dramatically in recent years.
    The lake, with a debt of up to 30 feet, is a high quality fishery as the trout survive on the natural diet of flies, water insects and minnows. A bag limit of two fish applies but catch and release is encouraged. This policy should prove all the better for anglers as over-wintered fish should be in the 3lbs to 5lbs bracket by next year. And what a thrill it will be to hook up with one of those beauties. Initially, visitors were allowed fish with worms on the river but the entire facility is now fly-only as mortality numbers were proving too high. Anyway, why kill such beautiful creatures that give the angler such marvellous sport.
    As well as being a significant gem in the tourist map of Lower Ormond, the lake is a wonderful amenity to teach children the art of fly fishing. My friend Liam Young brought his son Harry (11) and his friend Dean Craven (12) along on our recent visit to try their hand. “The two boys had a super day,” said Liam afterwards. “They both landed two fish and learned some of the basics involved in casting a fly to a rising trout. I will certainly be bringing them back again.”
    Safety on the lake is a priority and the wearing of life jackets is mandatory on the lake, which also produces fat native pike for those interested in pike fly fishing. And while the trout fishing season on most Irish lakes will end on September 30, North Tipperary Angling Centre will be open all year around. This will be great news to keen anglers who can expected to be presented with different kinds of challenges when it comes to trying to catch fish that will be lying low over the winter months. While we enjoyed an exceptional day’s outing, Pat Stack emphasised that the fish are not always on top of the water. The fishing can sit stubbornly on the bottom and it is up to the experience of the angler to tempt the trout look at his flies on those off days.
    So now for the first time we have trout fishing all year around right on our own door step in County Tipperary. For fanatic anglers in Tipperary every day can be a fishing day. Heaven at home, one might say. The centre is situated just 15 minutes drive from the towns of Nenagh and Portumna and fishing is by appointment only. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adults. Inquires to Pat Stack at 087-2756775.

• Advertisement

That's the place, I've drove down near there on the way to the Loais Angling Center and never know it. Sounds like a nice place to spend a few days over the winter, might give it a wizz next week........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dukelow

Have you fished is Dukelow, I haven't heard of a single person who has been down there for a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dukelow

I sure have Garry, first time was in February and again in April. I wrote a piece for ishootandfish.ie on my visit in February. Read it here on my own site. Also more details on it here on my site.
    I would recommend it to anyone but remember to phone ahead first as there are only two boats. The good side to this of course is that you will usually have the place to yourself and all for only €25, boat with engine included!

Advertisement