Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to change broadband provider, Dont really understand the different speeds

Options
  • 12-10-2010 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I'm currently with UPC and have 8MB (which i dont really understand all i know is its fast broadband) , I'm looking at 3 broadband now and they say data allowance options are : 1GB, 15GB and 30 GB .. are they comparable to UPC i have no idea what data allowance is? is it the speed ? really in over my head here i want broadband as good as i have now. keeping UPC isn't an option. I dont understand the difference between data allowance and download/upload speed so i cant compare them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Realistically there is no way you will be able to expect the same service you have with UPC with a mobile provider.

If you intend to use your internet connection for anything other than surfing the internet and checking email 3 mobile is not an option. It simply isn't designed for it.

The figures that you have posted are the download limits on each of Three's packages. With UPC your current download limit is 120GB.

As for upload and download with UPC you have 8Mb Download 1Mb Upload. 3 Mobile or any other mobile provide cannot guarantee you a speed at all. If you are lucky you may be able to get 2/3Mb Download.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't know what your personal circumstances are but if at all possible do NOT switch from UPC, who have Ireland's fastest broadband to a mobile provider. The speeds do not compare.

To answer your questions, the downloads speeds refer to how fast your internet connection actually downloads data.

UPC have packages of up to 30mb per second (this is megabits per second, not megabytes as a lot of people think). Mobile providers get no where near this speed. Also, UPC do intend to have even faster speeds available in the future.

Your data limit is how much data in Gigabytes (which is one thousand Megabytes) that you are allowed to download each month as part of your package.

If you really don't want to notice a serious drop in your BB then do not switch to a mobile provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mobile isn't Broadband.

Why even 1Mbps Broadband is better than 21Mbps Mobile:
    http://www.techtir.ie/comms/mobile-vs-fixed
    (compares Mobile with phone line/DSL, but UPC is even better than DSL/Phoneline Broadband)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055442502
    http://www.techtir.ie/forums/internet-faq

There are more technical articles on many sites that Explain why the speed claims of Mobile Operators are extremely misleading. "up to" = "hardly ever"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't know what your personal circumstances are but if at all possible do NOT switch from UPC, who have Ireland's fastest broadband to a mobile provider. The speeds do not compare.

You mean second... CableSurf in Waterford have the fastest residential at 120Mb

Advertisement