Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 skype app on android

Options
  • 12-10-2010 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering, I got a friends htc tytn 2 and was thinking of playing around with android on it, but i'm with three, and was wondering if their skype app works on android? Anyone know? I've been trying to search but all the results are for three uk.

Also, I was planning on doing the boot from SD card I read about (total noob here but trying to figure it out) but presumable any and all apps i download will go into the right place automatically and stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

The free 3 skype application is available as normal through Planet 3 even on Android phones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I have skype on my pc, and I understand the concept of using skype on the android, but can someone explain how it would work if say, I was in France and I wanted to skype a number back home in Ireland? Is there a hidden roaming cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

It wouldn't be "hidden".

First you will NOT be able to use the Skype For 3 Mobile application when abroad it just won't work.

Second you can use the Skype for Android app but if you are not on a wireless network then it will use a 3G network and the usage (after some very brief googling) is 10-11 kByte/sec but can't find out how much using a 3G connection in France would be but assume it wouldn't be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The flat rate for data roaming abroad with Irish networks is generally about €10 a megabyte. Avoid like the plague unless you can arrange something before you go. I think vodafone are the only Irish network where you can use data abroad without having to re-mortgage your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The HTC TyTN II is not an android phone it's running windows mobile 6, 3 used to have that phone in the range so you should be able to download Skype through planet 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Irish Halo wrote: »
    It wouldn't be "hidden".

First you will NOT be able to use the Skype For 3 Mobile application when abroad it just won't work.

Second you can use the Skype for Android app but if you are not on a wireless network then it will use a 3G network and the usage (after some very brief googling) is 10-11 kByte/sec but can't find out how much using a 3G connection in France would be but assume it wouldn't be cheap.

Thanks for that info. Something like that would put me off, is there a way to switch the internet off when abroad, so I don't end up using a 3G network by accident ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

On my Desire at least:
    Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Untick Data Roaming
    It is usually off by default to be honest.

Advertisement