Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sister due on Christmas day

Options
  • 12-10-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hey all, my sis is having her first baby on christmas day(all going well etc) and I haven't got a clue what I should be buying her. I don't want to buy loadsa of baby stuff for her(but should I?) I was thinking about getting her pampering stuff- bath salts candles etc, but she prob won't have the time or inclination to use them just after having a baby, or will she?
    As you can tell I am completey clueless as this is the first baby in the family:)
    TIA

whoops just saw there is a present section please move it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayGunner

If its the first baby of the new generation your sister will probably be overloaded with presents of little costumes and things like that.

If you want to get her something practical and something she really will use I'd spring for a Bumbo Seat. Its designed for 3 month old+ but believe me its probably the most useful thing your sister will get - I got it for my nephew and it was a great success!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hey all, my sis is having her first baby on christmas day(all going well etc) and I haven't got a clue what I should be buying her. I don't want to buy loadsa of baby stuff for her(but should I?) I was thinking about getting her pampering stuff- bath salts candles etc, but she prob won't have the time or inclination to use them just after having a baby, or will she?
    As you can tell I am completey clueless as this is the first baby in the family:)
    TIA

First off congrats! Having Nephews/Nieces are great fun!! :)

I don't really know what to suggest to get for your sister, but for the baby have you considered getting it, gold, myrrh and frankincense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

When my sister was pregnant I always gave her a gift in the last week of pregnancy with stuff like you mentioned and a few magazines/good book and some nice chocs. It was a nice treat while she was waiting for baby to come and wasnt up to doing much else. You could give her a gift like that a few days early. My sis very much appreciated and enjoyed it. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have a 1st Jan baby and am due again in Jan so not quite christmas but near enough.

My suggestions are -

cook dinners for her that she can freeze and eat as needed.
    Make little vouchers for baby sitting,it can be near impossible to even manage a shower in the 1st few weeks!
    A voucher for a local takeaway,yeah back to the food thing I know but seriously there is no time to cook!!
    Nice pjs with buttons at the top for feeding if needs be, a dressing gown and slippers.
    A charm bracelet for her and a charm to mark the birth of her baby.

Definitely do something nice/buy something for her and not the baby.
    The amount of presents we got for our little girl was unbelievable I was shocked and of course delighted:)

I don't see the point in vouchers for facials etc because it is so hard to leave them in the early days that you can't just relax and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

a ton of nappies - might sound terrible but it is probably the best present you could get for her. Get her a months worth - she'll love you for it. They will always be on hand and she wont' have to be running to the shop all the time for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

What would be nice would be a personalised hamper - for her.
    Add items such as

Perfume/Body Lotion
    A good cleanser & moisturiser & cotton wool
    A couple of good books
    Light entertainment DVD's or a DVD box set (Gavin & Stacey or similar comedian you know she will like). Keep it fun so she will laugh.
    Chocolates - A couple of boxes
    Jellies/Chewy sweets
    Chocolate for real hot chocolates & small marshmallows
    Bottle of wine
    A nice cheese and some crackers
    A Yankee Candle

Try and put items in to it which she could use while she is thrown down on the couch as it will probably be her favourite place for a while, especially during winter.

Most of the above items you can get for a good enough price at the supermarket. DVD's/Books - Amazon/Ebay. The basket and crepe paper can be sourced at a gift shop and the plastic to go over the hamper can be bought from a stationary shop or a florists might even sell you a bit.

As the hamper is personalised your sister will appreciate the thought and believe me she will use everything in it.

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    What would be nice would be a personalised hamper - for her.
    Add items such as

Perfume/Body Lotion
    A good cleanser & moisturiser & cotton wool
    A couple of good books
    Light entertainment DVD's or a DVD box set (Gavin & Stacey or similar comedian you know she will like). Keep it fun so she will laugh.
    Chocolates - A couple of boxes
    Jellies/Chewy sweets
    Chocolate for real hot chocolates & small marshmallows
    Bottle of wine
    A nice cheese and some crackers
    A Yankee Candle

Try and put items in to it which she could use while she is thrown down on the couch as it will probably be her favourite place for a while, especially during winter.

Most of the above items you can get for a good enough price at the supermarket. DVD's/Books - Amazon/Ebay. The basket and crepe paper can be sourced at a gift shop and the plastic to go over the hamper can be bought from a stationary shop or a florists might even sell you a bit.

As the hamper is personalised your sister will appreciate the thought and believe me she will use everything in it.

do you have kids? That all sounds fabulous, but believe me all she will want to do is sleep, sleep, sleep - she won't care what pamper stuff is thrown at her, or what dvd's she has, believe me. and as for the wine - depends on how she is feeding

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

do you have kids? That all sounds fabulous, but believe me all she will want to do is sleep, sleep, sleep - she won't care what pamper stuff is thrown at her, or what dvd's she has, believe me. and as for the wine - depends on how she is feeding

I have 2 children actually, one of them was born at Christmas time and believe me there is nothing better than snuggling up on the couch for a couple of hours with a funny dvd or book and a mug of hot chocolate just after you've had a nice shower and gave your face a good cleansing while you're waiting for the baby to wake for it's next feed.

Also, it's nice when you receive gifts for the baby, but especially at Christmas time it's nice to be thought of and receive something special just for you.

I don't know about other people but when I was expecting all the advice was to sleep when your baby sleeps. Ya right! When baby slept I had to tidy up, cook, wash clothes, get bottles ready etc. etc. Sleep goes out the window when you have babies so you make the most of your time when you are awake.

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    I have 2 children actually, one of them was born at Christmas time and believe me there is nothing better than snuggling up on the couch for a couple of hours with a funny dvd or book and a mug of hot chocolate just after you've had a nice shower and gave your face a good cleansing while you're waiting for the baby to wake for it's next feed.

Also, it's nice when you receive gifts for the baby, but especially at Christmas time it's nice to be thought of and receive something special just for you.

I don't know about other people but when I was expecting all the advice was to sleep when your baby sleeps. Ya right! When baby slept I had to tidy up, cook, wash clothes, get bottles ready etc. etc. Sleep goes out the window when you have babies so you make the most of your time when you are awake.

exactly, so the last thing you will be thinking of is sitting down eating chocolates, guzzling wine with a face pack on watching a dvd. YOu will be catching up on the housework you did not get to do when the baby is awake, and if you have done all that you will be lying on the couch alright, konked out from exhaustion, not from the bottle of wine. :P

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Moving this to the Gifts Sub-Forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will go with the DVDS etc, sounds like a great idea!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

TIA

First off, buy her a couple of newspapers printed as close to the babys birth as possible so the child can look at them in years to come and see what was in the news at the time of his/her birth.

Bring your sis out for a meal before the birth and keep the receipt.

Go to a supermarket and buy nappies talc wipes ect and keep that receipt.

Buy some baby clothes, and yes keep that receipt.:)

Lastly, buy your sis something personal, a gift from you to her, I bought my sister in law a Stork on a chain that she still wears to this day.

Anyway, put the above in a nicely wrapped box and your sis should be delighted that you gave her such an unusual gift.

After she has opened it, ask your sis to keep all those things in a Remembrance box to mark the birth of her baby.

And your Niece/Nephew will have receipts to look back on when he/she is 21 re the cost of things when he/she was born and what was in the news at the time.

It won't cost a lot but I'm sure it will mean a lot to your Niece/Nephew when they get to look back.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

santa suit (for the baby)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

your sister will need lots of sleep but that does not happen in the early days so get her one of those cosy hot water bottles or the ones you pop in the microwave so at least she will be able to enjoy the little sleep she does get! maybe a nice turkey and stuffing sandwich!
    congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I don't see why this is in the Xmas section should it not be in parenting forum.

Anyways my guy was born the 29th of December but he is no baby this year he turns 4. Most births don't happen on due date.

It does not matter that baby is due on Xmas day it could be any day (hope not an icy one, makes traveling to the hospital rather dangerous). Buy them what you would buy them if it was any other day.

Just to note its best avoid using scented bath salts/ bath items after giving birth, they recommend clear water with a bit of salt, better for the healing of grazes and cuts with stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

What I do is make up a baby hamper with a vest, babygro blanket,towel,lotions creams stuff from € shops also,nappies one pack of each size,and dont forget a box of mums favorite sweets,bottle of perfume or new pjs......It wont work out too expensive if you do a bit each week,and its up to you what sizeto make it...either way it will be received with thanks... :)

Advertisement