Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good price for flights to NZ?

Options
  • 12-10-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all
    Planning to honeymoon in New Zealand on next April.

For 2 of us, gohop.ie has flights from Dublin for about €2500. That includes a stop in Hong Kong (which I wouldn't mind spending a few days in) and is open jaw, so we can fly into Auckland and out of Christchurch. Was wondering if people thought this was an OK price - had thought we could do it for a bit less, given that it's a shoulder season, but maybe that is good for nowadays?

One worry is that it's with Qantas. You hear different things about them. I thought I wasn't fussy but flights to SE Asia last year with Etihad made me realise that I probably would pay a little bit more for good service (e.g. on four of our Etihad flights the TVs worked about half the time, there was a massive song-and-dance getting our seats together, it wasn't super comfy etc etc) - so are Qantas OK?
    For just a couple hundred more we could go with Singapore Airlines, I think with a stopover in Singapore if we want it (though at a push I'd rather see HKG!), and I hear they're very plush.

So seasoned fellow travellers, which option would you go for? Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Singapore are great especially the A380 which is very plush. If you get an upstairs economy seat its only 2 abreast which is great for travelling as a couple. I think they're only on the London-Singapore leg so far.

The experiences i've had with Qantas have varied, service\food\wine has been good and recently a lot of their fleet is being upgraded as for a while the older 747s felt dated. The last I flew with them between Sydney and Wellington the aicraft was about 20 years old and the in flight entertainment consisted of ceiling tv screens. Totally safe but just felt dated compared to Jetstar and Air New Zealands new fleet.

Cathay Pacific were great when I last used them and also Air New Zealand have won many awards of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

Thanks a mil for the response - v tempted by Singapore Airlines, not so much by Singapore so might just take a punt on Qantas with the bonus of getting to see Hong Kong. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

Try Emirates from London

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

Thanks Poodles - a good idea but Emirates are more than twice as much it seems, on my dates anyway.

Advertisement