Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commerce or law?

Options
  • 12-10-2010 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm currently in 6th year and can't decide between doing a commerce or law degree in UCC....

I'd like to do commerce with french and I think it would give me more opportunities afterwards but i've heard commerce degrees don't really get you anywhere and a masters is often required to be done?

I think I want to be a solicitor but i'm not 100%...

I'd like some feedback from current or past students of commerce or law.. What the course is like? ..interesting? ..if french is recommended along with the course? difficulty level?

Any help is really appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Law at UCC is really good - interesting subjects and good lecturers.

If you want to do Law & French you need good french as you'll be spending a year at a university in France. Its a really good course if you are looking for a job afterwards in the EU area.

I think you can still do french language with the regular BCL degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Aisling1992

To be honest commerce is kind of boring. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lydsom

so would you not recommend to do it?

such decisions to be made...haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Aisling1992

I would recommend it because its a very broad course. Some of the subjects like Accounting and Marketing are very boring but the rest are grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭capslock88

Commerce with french is a pretty decent course...know ppl who got straight into accounting companies, marketing firms and just general businesses, while quite a few also got jobs abroad through enterprise ireland...a decent level of french is needed but you wouldnt need to be super at it id say...
    Law seems a fairly solid course aswell...you could do french with that aswell...french would be the same standard but you'd need about 50points more than commerce...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

lydsom wrote: »
    so would you not recommend to do it?

such decisions to be made...haha

I'm in final year Commerce and would definately recommend it. Sure in first and second year you will dislike some subjects since you do about 10 a year but that goes for most courses. There is also the work placement or study abroad option in third year which is appealing

Advertisement