Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about changing course....

Options
  • 12-10-2010 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Thinking about changing course, but is it too late? Or can I wait until after christmas? I'm in first year and I really hate my course, I have the points for the course I want to do now but I don't know how to go about it or if I've left it too late to make the decision. Anyone changed their course at UL or know how I should go about it at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Badger19 wrote: »
    Thinking about changing course, but is it too late? Or can I wait until after christmas? I'm in first year and I really hate my course, I have the points for the course I want to do now but I don't know how to go about it or if I've left it too late to make the decision. Anyone changed their course at UL or know how I should go about it at this stage.

It is possible but you will probably have to repeat first year and pay half year tuition fees.

For the best answer you should post this question to the education officer at the link below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055767345&page=14

or you could look through the previous posts in that thread as I'm sure its a question thats been asked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

it depents on your course you mite be a bit late but you can still do it go in to the su and talk to aoife the education officer here;s her email sueducation@ul.ie ( she is really nice to boot )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you have to wait until next year to start your drop out must be complete before October 30th, as the state pays for all students registered on October 31st, meaning full fees if you haven't processed drop out before that.

Aoife is out sick at the moment, but you could contact her by email and talk to Maura.Murphy@ul.ie about support options that may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Do this RIGHT NOW. I tried to change course just after halloween and got royally screwed over(not by anyone but myself mind). Which in turn kinda ****ed up my life for the last few years.

Also when your changing courses, HOUND the people doing it for you, youd be VERY surprised how often the staff just forget something for a week and the next thing you know you missed your deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jose-fahartose

As Patricide said, do it straight away. I you drop out now you can go back next year without haveing to pay any fee's.

If you leave it until after October or next semester you could be paying €3000 or €6500 next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Badger19

Thanks guys :) I actually dropped out this week, less hassle and now I've time to be sure of what I want to do, thanks for the help, much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

No problem dude, glad you got out nice and clean without complications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Thanks guys :) I actually dropped out this week, less hassle and now I've time to be sure of what I want to do, thanks for the help, much appreciated :)

this happened me last year except I left in december I had to pay 3500 fees going back this year, but im much happier in my course now and dropping out was worth it even though i found the year out hard with nothing to do it was worth it hopefully it will work out for you. to keep me going witha bit of brain work I went back and repeated french in the leaving to get a better result and this opened up more course choices for me in the CAO so it might be something worth looking at for you, best of luck!

Advertisement