Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know how low you can have a chimney?

Options
  • 12-10-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

A house next door has an extension at the back; its a conservatory and has a chimney that's quite low since obviously it's only one story. This didn't bother me until lately when they've started to light fires and the smoke just blows straight down into our back garden.

Just wondering if this was legal to build? If so, no worries, just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Page 7 here may have the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

you are right that there are limitations, for the very reason you are having problem, normally its windows that are used a criteria.
    Have you any that are at odds with the TGD provided above?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I believe Homebond recommend a minimum chimney height of 4.5m, to prevent downdraught of smoke problems. Check their manual for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

+1

4.5m above the fireplace i.e. the top of the part you place the wood/coal in . (P117 of 4th Edition HB ) . So from floor to chimney could be required to be over 5m total .

diddley your neighbors will find smoke blowing back into their extension in certain wind conditions .

Now if they decide to make the stack higher to solve this then the stack may need to also made wider so the wind does not blow it over !

The required width depends on the site wind exposure .

The HB manual gives guidance on max height for widths but quite honestly if you suspect that next door they attempt to alter the height without advice from a structural engineer - stick your oar in . Big Time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Just a reminder that the Homebond Manual give recommendations only and have no standing when it comes to enforcing regulation. So basically if the neighbour is in compliance with TGD part J and refuses to do anything else there is little else you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RKQ wrote: »
    I believe Homebond recommend a minimum chimney height of 4.5m, to prevent downdraught of smoke problems. Check their manual for details.
    sinnerboy wrote: »
    +1

4.5m above the fireplace i.e. the top of the part you place the wood/coal in . (P117 of 4th Edition HB ) . So from floor to chimney could be required to be over 5m total .

That's not really relevent to the OP. It's what should be done for best practice, but not by any means a regulation or minimum. If they meet conditions in the TGDs, then not much the OP can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Well I disagree that there is not much the OP can do . His residential amenity is being spoiled . The HB guidance supports an argument that this is due to lack of diligence on behalf of his neighbor in the design of his extension works. It is not "a fluke" that is causing smoke to spoil the atmosphere in his garden . It is poor design which can be demonstrated by reference to the HB manual .

In the first instance I would confront the neighbor with this .

If that failed - I would go legal .

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Thanks everyone for the replies.. I doubt the chimney is 5 metres or over..

Advertisement