Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying a camper.

Options
  • 12-10-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I've been investigating buying a camper.
    However despite a lot of research I'm still confused over many things.
    It appears ahere are many pitfalls regards classification as a camper if it's a conversion, changes in tax status, weights and tax and driving license, interior height, etc.
    I'm looking for a smaller camper, for regular use through winter, 2 berth ideally, diesel, driven on B license, would prefer low profile but worried about height rule.

Any thoughts and/or recomendations gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Mr Gumby wrote: »
    It appears ahere are many pitfalls regards classification as a camper if it's a conversion, changes in tax status, weights and tax and driving license, interior height, etc.
    I'm looking for a smaller camper, for regular use through winter, 2 berth ideally, diesel, driven on B license, would prefer low profile but worried about height rule.

You've come to the right place for advice. Lots of folk on here to guide you through the process.
    If you're importing or converting something yourself then you'd have every right to be confused as there's appears to be a lot of changes happening with VRT at the moment.
    If it's a Irish registered Camper/MH then it's fairly straightforward (at the moment)
    On a B license you're covered to drive up to 3500Kgs. A small two berth may weigh around 2000kg while many 6 berths out there are still under the 3500kgs.

A factory built MH with an Irish number plate is probably the most straight forward. VRT will have already been paid on import so nothing to worry about there. The vehicle meets the VRT conditions as a Motorhome/Camper.

If it's a conversion then ensure that it's registered as a MH/Camper (not a commercial). Quickest check is to look at the tax disk, tax is around €85 per year. If registered as a MH then VRT etc should already have been paid and heights checked and meets the conditions as a Motorhome/Camper.

There's a few vans out there that have been physically converted into MHs but never registered as a Camper/MH. These would still be considered commercials and VRT would not have been paid. In addition Tax office would need to check heights etc to class as a camper. If it doesn't meet the conditions ie. 1.8m ceiling height, fixed cooker etc. then it would benefit from the reduced road tax and there could be insurance complications.

Clear as mud?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Gumby

Thanks for prompt reply and info.

I had been thinking of a Mazda Bongo but now wonder if they qualify as a MH. If they have already been fully converted and registered as a camper can they continue as one, eventhough they no longer qualify. do any "pop tops" qualify? For instance VWs.:confused:

If it's already registered and the tax office recognise it as a camper then you're fine and nothing to worry about.
    "Pop tops" used to be treated differently for VRT and I'm not sure how they're treated these days by the tax office.
    I'm sure there's somebody more qualified than me to answer that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

pop tops are treated as cars ..

Vehicle Registration Tax is payable at the following rates: Up to 1400cc the rate is 22.5% of the Irish open market selling price. From 1401cc to 1900 cc incl the rate is 25% of the Irish open market selling price. Over 1901 cc the rate is 30% of the Irish open market selling price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've seen pop tops registered as campers so you should be able to buy one that is registered as a camper and get the low rate of road tax

• Advertisement

It would seem advantagous then to buy something already registered as a camper whatever it is. I do notice that many of the campers for sale are British reg. Is it a sufficient check to see the registration docs?

All that aside, back to one of my earlier questions, what would you all recommend given my needs and the fact that I want to spend about 10,000 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

A friend of mine is selling this one www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/1551824
    I'd say he'd take less than 11 for it...

I've lived in smaller houses!:eek::D

Mazda Bongo/ VW etc is more my area, however I am here to learn and be advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

We've 2 here close to your budget , both Irish reg.

It would seem advantagous then to buy something already registered as a camper whatever it is. I do notice that many of the campers for sale are British reg. Is it a sufficient check to see the registration docs?

If it's not on Irish plates then it would need VRT which could add a few thousand to your final price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭Macy0161

paddyp wrote: »
    pop tops are treated as cars ..
    I know that means higher road tax, but do the insurance companies cover them as a car or as a camper?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I know that means higher road tax, but do the insurance companies cover them as a car or as a camper?

I'm certain there's "pop tops" out there that qualify for lower road tax but I'm guessing the rules changed over the years.
    Insurance typically cover them as campers since they've been registered as campers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭Macy0161

stapeler wrote: »
    I'm certain there's "pop tops" out there that qualify for lower road tax but I'm guessing the rules changed over the years.
    Insurance typically cover them as campers since they've been registered as campers.
    Pop tops did used to classify pop tops - I know people with 70's bays who are on the lower rate. However, I don't think that's still the case.

You can retro fit pop tops to T4's and T5's (and other similar vans), but it appears revenue won't register as a camper, but how do the insurance companies cover them? If they'll only cover them in line with revenue, how do they feel about cookers (and gas) and sinks etc? If tax and insurance is as a car, you'd really need it as a full time second vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭lamper35

I was thinkin of the same im looking for a 6/7 berth and willing too spend around 20,000 i only have a b licence so can only drive whatever that allows..Its my first time i will ever have owned a camper..so cant wait....but do i have too rush too buy before this new tax thing,,or does that only apply too new campers...need all the advice i can get thanks

Advertisement