Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike stalling and spluttering when moving off!

Options
  • 12-10-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Ok guys need your help cause im fresh out ideas.

The biek is stalling and spluttering when moving from a stop all the time and have to over compensate the throttle to pull off all the time.

So far, Cleaned Carbs, Balanced Carbs, cleaned and sanded down coil connectors, new fuel filter and fuel wires runnign downwards.

Now heres a hint im hoping someone will be able to pin point it down to.

When i start the bike, it takes ages and have to keep on choke to start off always, drops down cylinders when stopped, like a fuel starvation thing, she always starts up after a min on starter button but always after a back fire from the exhaust.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Ok guys need your help cause im fresh out ideas.

The biek is stalling and spluttering when moving from a stop all the time and have to over compensate the throttle to pull off all the time.

So far, Cleaned Carbs, Balanced Carbs, cleaned and sanded down coil connectors, new fuel filter and fuel wires runnign downwards.

Now heres a hint im hoping someone will be able to pin point it down to.

When i start the bike, it takes ages and have to keep on choke to start off always, drops down cylinders when stopped, like a fuel starvation thing, she always starts up after a min on starter button but always after a back fire from the exhaust.

Any ideas?

is she taking in air
    check the rubbers fropm airbox-carbs and from carbs-head

have you good plugs in (change them to 1 hotter )
    what bkie is it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

she's old but this is recent, 87 kawasaki gt550.

New plugs in, full service not less than 4 months ago. one of the boots is loose but still connected and flush with carbs pretty much.

Would an dirty air filter that was cleaned and not replaced cause this kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...air leak sounds like a culprit. If the bike has been stood a long time the carb rubbers could have perished or (if there is on, the o-ring sealing them to the cylinder head.). There is a way to check: a small can of easy start, or other combustible gas, used with a fine applictor, used in the region of the inlet tract, with the engine running can help, as the engine revs will rise as soon as the leak draws in the gas...........

I'm assuming nothing simple like the carb balancer plugs haven't been left off/ or aren't leaking, either - that would inject air straight into the tract, making it way lean - hence your need for a lot of choke.

If you eliminate all those, then a bit more digging is in order: the low speed circuit on the carbs could be blocked - again, the bike will run with mid-to-high rev's, but not on low. Can be a complete bitch to sort, tbh. I had a GSX-F that used to do that, and one cylinder would regularly cut out. Took ages to sort, but it was a blocked pilot circuit. Don't go poking with bits of wire/etc.

Last, but by no means least - have you checked valve clearances ? If it's running tight, then it might be that compression is crap at low rev's. If it's got big miles, the valves seats might have receded a bit........a compression test might show up something.

Being an old, but good !, air cooled engine, it prefers slightly loose, rather than tight valve clearances, btw. Once warm, they'll tighten up a bit.

Process of elimination, I'm afraid - and time !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

have ya checked the inside of the fuel tank isny rusty ?:)

she's old but this is recent, 87 kawasaki gt550.

New plugs in, full service not less than 4 months ago. one of the boots is loose but still connected and flush with carbs pretty much.

Would an dirty air filter that was cleaned and not replaced cause this kinda thing.

Tighten it lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

What do the diaphgrams look like? Jap Z carb dias were prone to tearing. It is vital they are perfect on the CV carbs. Even mislocation can cause problems.

What do the diaphgrams look like? Jap Z carb dias were prone to tearing. It is vital they are perfect on the CV carbs. Even mislocation can cause problems.

Good one, forgotten that. Even a pinhole could affect it actually - had an F650 that did that .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

hey guys, I found the prob, the 3rd cyclinder was dead, it was only giving 30 pounds of pressure compared to the others at 150.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

hey guys, I found the prob, the 3rd cyclinder was dead, it was only giving 30 pounds of pressure compared to the others at 150.

Dead spark or not getting fuel or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Dead spark or not getting fuel or what?

More like a valve seat or gasket problem.

• Advertisement

It looks to be the valve seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

Have a look in the car threads, there's a few places that will lap the seat for you.

it is unlikely a car garage will have the small size required to re-cut and re-seat a bike valve seat. From memory - and having sold them the tool to do it ! :) - there's only 1 crowd in Galway - Specials

But there's a 2nd that might - Y2K Motorcycles

Where in Galway are you based - I know of 1 more guy that should be able to sort it, but don't have his contact details to hand. PM me if you like, and I'll dig it out.

Ode To The Motorist

please let us know how you get on

soo many dont

Ya steve mac said he'll help me out. I will def let ya know, its so great tho knowing what the problem is or half knowing.

oh guys on another note, it just so happens that that particular exhaust just had a collar replaced on exhaust and is what looks to be leakign from that plug hole of the 3rd cyclinder?

Any thoughts?

Tigger wrote: »
    please let us know how you get on

soo many dont

Hi Guys,

I finally found the problem.....I took of the engine head, the 3rd shimmy was really loose compared to the others, i used a smaller shimmy, put back together and checked the compression and BOOM, 180 pounds of pressure.

Thanks all.

Advertisement