Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

medium level smartphone (Andoid preferred)

Options
  • 12-10-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

my gf is looking for a new phone and loves my desire,, she doesn;t want to splash out so much on a phone so am looking a basic to medium level smart phone, facebook and browsing would be the most she would be doing so apps are not a huge factor
    at the mo i am looking at meteor-android
    so the best options i think
    wildfire
    x10 mini pro

are legend/hero no longer on meteor

x10 looks a little small for me,,, sense and 2.1 prob would win it for me
    pity they only do brown as she would like a bita bling/clour

maybe could push for the iphone 3g on three,, looks good value on 18mnths

any taughts other recomendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

With all due respect to Meteor, they have a reliable 2G Network, but I struggle to find consistent reliable 3G coverage outside of the cities.

I personally would throw my weight in behind the Wildfire. What you get for the price is a brilliant device with brilliant value. From what I see, the only two things it falls short in is length and lcd quality as far as the Desire is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the mrs has the x10 mini and its spot on.
    its android 1.6 now but an update to 2.1 was due this week but is postponed another month according to latest reports for further testing.
    still, the software on it it spot on

the physical qwerty keyboard is very usable despite it not being massive

The mrs also has an ipod touch and doesnt find the smaller screen on the x10 mini much of a hinderance.

That said, the phone is used most for phone, photo, email and facebook and for that its spot on.
    Intensively browing the web could be a pain after a while BUT even on the ipod touch(/ iphone) , browsing non websites isnt the greatest of pleasures
    If you use mobile versions of websites, bbc/ rte and that, then its not much of a difference from the iphone screen from the point of view of usability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

Get the San Fransisco from Orange UK. It's a great deal. It's only 99 stg on PAYG, unlock online for a fiver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I recently got the LG Optimus and its a good little phone for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

thanks guys,, i like the look of the San fran,, as epends if she wants the hassle,, otherwise its the wildfire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

well personally saying from experience and from feedback from friends the extra 100+ euro for higher end is worth it in the long run

as well as it increases the experience you get from android

but probably would go for wildfire if not available probably LG optimus then

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Doesnt anyone know where you can order an Orange 'San Francisco' delivered to an Irish address?
    long_b wrote: »
    Get the San Fransisco from Orange UK. It's a great deal. It's only 99 stg on PAYG, unlock online for a fiver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Doesnt anyone know where you can order an Orange 'San Francisco' delivered to an Irish address?

Also want to know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'd look for a legend in the middleweight category

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Due to device's popularity and limited availability, good number of UK resident posters from blade.modaco.com were offering to send devices abroad for a certain, often reasonable fee. This seems to have stopped ATM on the request of forum moderators. Short of taking a trip to NI, this seems to have been the easiest (only) option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Due to device's popularity and limited availability, good number of UK resident posters from blade.modaco.com were offering to send devices abroad for a certain, often reasonable fee. This seems to have stopped ATM on the request of forum moderators. Short of taking a trip to NI, this seems to have been the easiest (only) option.

Yes I have seen that My main worry is that there are a high number of defective units - returns and exchamge issues :eek: Wish Orange were in Ireland :( As for NI - Live in Cork :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

seems the orange SF may be available online in a couple of weeks?

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/-/1007/1252/3-/HardwareBrowse.html?searchtype=genre

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Play wont ship a phone to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

I got my SanFran in Newry, drove up after work on a Thursday - a little over an hour to get there. Its open until 9pm or 10pm. No questions. All very friendly, and easy. No need to deliver to an address in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I bought my phone from second hand.

He bought it from Carphone warehouse in the UK.

They use a courier to send the phone.

He used a Belfast postcode with no issues.

I think it was UPS, so they just forwarded to this state.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭phog

long_b wrote: »

Where can I get it unlocked? Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Frank_Leach

mcbert wrote: »
    I got my SanFran in Newry, drove up after work on a Thursday - a little over an hour to get there. Its open until 9pm or 10pm. No questions. All very friendly, and easy. No need to deliver to an address in the republic.

How much in euro?
    You had to then unlock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

How much in euro?
    You had to then unlock it?

I just put it on the credit card. It was 110 sterling (£100 + £10 credit). So whatever the exchange rate was on the day.

I unlocked it for £5 I think using these guys: https://www.unlocks.co.uk

But I hear there are free unlock codes somewhere now... just do a search

Advertisement