Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Copyrighting Lyrics/ Songs?

Options
  • 12-10-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey,

Just enquiring, I send my Lyrics/ Songs to myself by registered post. I make sure the "An Post Stamp" is covering the opening flap to prove it has not been opened since the day it was posted. This then has to be signed for and recorded.

Just wondering, Is it accepted as a way of Copyright? Lets say someone recorded one of my songs, would I have a leg to stand on in court?!

Many thanks in advance for any clarification on this matter.

Cheers! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Yeah its acceptable and common practice. Also check out digiprove, you can upload your song there to be registered for protection

• Registered Users Posts: 35 F5MWG

Will do! Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Yeah its acceptable and common practice. Also check out digiprove, you can upload your song there to be registered for protection

Tell us more about alternatives - how it will work in case of apocalypse with the website www.digiprove.com or the other internet source?
    Envelope with the hard copy of your intellectual property you have in your pocket - a very old trick I know it's soo 17th century but you can trust it at least. Can you trust internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 F5MWG

Internet wise, I was thinking... If you post a 'You Tube' video of your stuff, Would that be a Copyright because you can clearly see the upload date?!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

F5MWG wrote: »
    Internet wise, I was thinking... If you post a 'You Tube' video of your stuff, Would that be a Copyright because you can clearly see the upload date?!

Afraid not. The courts need to have a proven technology and legally recognised encryption in order to grant proof for a particular time and date.

Here is another Irish site that offers Copyright proof directed at music, www.emeraz.com. On Emeraz as soon as you have copyrighted you can verify it from your profile so you have that peace of mind.

2 copyrights for free too ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement