Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from After Hours

Options
  • 12-10-2010 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭

Hi, basically I've been banned about two days ago. I have no idea what for (just got trolling, then finally got told what the topic link was). I still have no idea; basically a guy posted a story, it was fairly ignorant of him for what he did. Now as I disbuted this against the OP, his story would change making it look like I was wrong.

The only clue I could get is that "read the OP" from the mod. So I have no idea beyond the fact of "OP posted, I argued, OP changes story, I catch him out on it and it continues, till I get a ban"... even though I've never once have been given out any sort of punishment before that.

So anyone care to explain or am i left guessing? :(

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This post (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68428009&postcount=115) seems to sum it up quite nicely. If you log out you'll be able to view it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

This post (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68428009&postcount=115) seems to sum it up quite nicely. If you log out you'll be able to view it.

You're joking... I actually said (if you decided to read the whole topic) it was an attempt at humour. When someone else made another attempt at humour.

But if you choose to ignore that it was a joke; does it mean I should report any and all jokes? :confused:

Sorry; I know now that my valid arguments were classed as trolling.

Thanks for that but since you seemed to not actually bother reading the whole topic (you'd have known he somehow knew she didn't deserve it, knew what the guy was thinking, knocked the glasses off a man, admitted to hurling abuse at a man who he has no idea about and I'm trolling?

I'll admit when you read the entire story (the whole thing; not just the lies the OP posted, which is trolling) it is trolling, after all it's fine to change a story to make a user appear to troll, right? Or is that wrong?

So my question is: since the OP is allowed to lie and change the story when he looks bad; am I allowed to do it too or is just that poster?

Or is it because I didn't think it was just a smart idea to scream and insult a man he knows nothing about and somehow that's trolling?

Wait I know it now! It was in AH and it was because I didn't praise the man who attacked someone else all in the "defense" of a woman?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You may have been joking but that doesn't mean you weren't trolling.

You may have been joking but that doesn't mean you weren't trolling.

So joking is a no-no?:)

So joking is a no-no?:)

No, joking is fine. Trolling is not.

• Advertisement

No, joking is fine. Trolling is not.

So clarify: making a joke that someone deserves it is trolling?

Oh and thanks for ignoring the valid arguments of the post after that; seems to happen a lot... :(

So clarify: making a joke that someone deserves it is trolling?

Oh and thanks for ignoring the valid arguments of the post after that; seems to happen a lot... :(

I don't see how someone ever deserves a joke but no making a joke doesn't always mean trolling. Anywho, I'd probably have given you the benefit of the doubt with your first post being just a joke but the rest of your posts in that thread is what indicates to me that you were trolling.

I don't see how someone ever deserves a joke but no making a joke doesn't always mean trolling. Anywho, I'd probably have given you the benefit of the doubt with your first post being just a joke but the rest of your posts in that thread is what indicates to me that you were trolling.

Well who do I PM to ask if it's okay to make a joke?

See, the thing of her deserving it was a joke.

The rest of the posts I stand by. If you'll just read it and go with the thought of "the story was being changed", which it was, you'll see I wasn't actually trolling; the OP was! It's like me appealing now and then lying to you and changing it so you're the bad guy whenever you catch me out on things and then you being in trouble while I'm like a hero. :(

That's the problem that got me modded.

Basically it went from him making his story in the first post, fine. Me making a joke, mod me for that if you like, I should have made sure it was okay to post.

But then it gets iffy, from being the hero of the day to him screaming and insulting at the guy; you can see how it looks bad for him.

But if you want to ignore the fact the story changed then yes it was trolling and I believe I'd like an admin to further review it since it was nothing more than me being trolled (story constantly changed by the OP).

First off, I have to clarify something here. When you said "making a joke that someone deserves it is trolling" I thought you were saying that amarachi deserved the joke hence why I said "I don't see how someone ever deserves a joke". It was a mis-communication. I know you are saying that your first post about her deserving it was a joke I even said above that I probably would have given you the benefit of the doubt if it wasn't for the rest of your posts.

I've read the posts and it's my opinion that you were trolling even before we got to the "story changing" you spoke of. Hell, you're even trolling this thread with you comments such as "so joking is a no-no" and "who do I pm to ask if it's ok to make a joke".

First off, I have to clarify something here. When you said "making a joke that someone deserves it is trolling" I thought you were saying that amarachi deserved the joke hence why I said "I don't see how someone ever deserves a joke". It was a mis-communication. I know you are saying that your first post about her deserving it was a joke I even said above that I probably would have given you the benefit of the doubt if it wasn't for the rest of your posts.

I've read the posts and it's my opinion that you were trolling even before we got to the "story changing" you spoke of. Hell, you're even trolling this thread with you comments such as "so joking is a no-no" and "who do I pm to ask if it's ok to make a joke".

Please tell me you're joking...

Look, bottom line is I was being trolled, not trolling.
    I was just trying to find out who to ask if a joke is okay to post or not after you explained a few things; how is trying to find out information trolling?

I still don't understand how I got in trouble after I was the one being trolled.

Did that user also get a 3 day banning for trolling?

• Advertisement

I was just trying to find out who to ask if a joke is okay to post or not after you explained a few things

So let me get this straight. Based on this one interaction with me you think that you need to ask permission from a mod to post a joke or not despite not seeing anything else to suggest this in your three years here and despite me even saying that I would have given you the benefit of the doubt that your post saying she deserved it was a joke and that it was the rest of your posts that confirmed to me that you were trolling? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

So let me get this straight. Based on this one interaction with me you think that you need to ask permission from a mod to post a joke or not despite not seeing anything else to suggest this in your three years here and despite me even saying that I would have given you the benefit of the doubt that your post saying she deserved it was a joke and that it was the rest of your posts that confirmed to me that you were trolling? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

Sigh... as I have explained before my account was made once to ask one question; I think you would have seen more posts further than about two months ago if I even knew it existed.

The rests of the posts are trolling? Might I asked why you you only pick some parts of my posts to respond to?

Sigh... as I have explained before my account was made once to ask one question; I think you would have seen more posts further than about two months ago if I even knew it existed.

OK I didn't notice that. I'll rephrase.

So let me get this straight. Based on this one interaction with me you think that you need to ask permission from a mod to post a joke or not despite not seeing anything else to suggest this and despite me even saying that I would have given you the benefit of the doubt that your post saying she deserved it was a joke and that it was the rest of your posts that confirmed to me that you were trolling? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?
    The rests of the posts are trolling? Might I asked why you you only pick some parts of my posts to respond to?

Sorry I'll answer them now. You weren't being trolled in my opinion and he didn't get banned.

OK I didn't notice that. I'll rephrase.

So let me get this straight. Based on this one interaction with me you think that you need to ask permission from a mod to post a joke or not despite not seeing anything else to suggest this and despite me even saying that I would have given you the benefit of the doubt that your post saying she deserved it was a joke and that it was the rest of your posts that confirmed to me that you were trolling? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

Sorry I'll answer them now. You weren't being trolled in my opinion and he didn't get banned.

Actually yes; I honestly thought (still do) that some jokes need to be checked first.

Alright that is your opinion; get an admin then or another CM. I still want to know why it was okay for the OP to blatantly lie to make himself look better when I pointed out he had no reason to attack the guy (changed to self-defense later). Then it was changed to "oh well I had to scream at him and call him a ****".

You can see how that is trolling, right?

I'll pass it along to an admin so then.

I'll pass it along to an admin so then.

Thank you. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I'll have a read over the thread and get back to you here.

From reading the thread, there were a few posters doing their best to be funny in that thread (bless their little cotton socks).

However, you went on a crusade against the Thread starter and were quite aggressive in your posts as well as accusing him of lies.

It is unfortunate that the ban has expired before this was resolved (the problem with short bans) but to be honest, I think a 3 day ban was more than justified.

You were either trolling or you were just being argumentative for some weird form of attention seeking where being recognised for all the wrong reasons still equates to being recognised.

LoLth wrote: »
    From reading the thread, there were a few posters doing their best to be funny in that thread (bless their little cotton socks).

However, you went on a crusade against the Thread starter and were quite aggressive in your posts as well as accusing him of lies.

It is unfortunate that the ban has expired before this was resolved (the problem with short bans) but to be honest, I think a 3 day ban was more than justified.

You were either trolling or you were just being argumentative for some weird form of attention seeking where being recognised for all the wrong reasons still equates to being recognised.

Except he was lying and changed the story whenever I proved him wrong. I want him punished and an apology.

Also... seven days to get a response? How come when I made a new thread after forty eight hours (as per the rules) after getting no response that it was locked? Either fire the person who locked it for refusing to follow the rules or else change the rules that the normal users can see and not leave us guessing what we're to do.

• Advertisement

closing thread.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

How come when I made a new thread after forty eight hours (as per the rules) after getting no response that it was locked? Either fire the person who locked it for refusing to follow the rules or else change the rules that the normal users can see and not leave us guessing what we're to do.
    In the interest of clarity: the rules (which you appear to have misread) state that in the first instance - at the very start of the process - you should contact a moderator and, if you haven't received a response within two days, to start a thread here.

You appear to have extrapolated that rule to the point where you believe you should start a new thread every two days. You shouldn't. I locked your second thread for that reason.

In future, before demanding that rules be changed or someone "fired", make sure you've understood the rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement