Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no fun in F1

Options
  • 12-10-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭

Compared to Moto GP in particular there seems to be no fun allowed in F1 anymore, no donuts, no flag carrying in the car, no mental celebrations?

So why not? Moto GP benefits greatly from it IMO, adds a lot of character and entertainment to the end, especially the crazy celebrations.

Is it that F1 is just too concerned with money these days and has gotten more straight laced because of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Compared to Moto GP in particular there seems to be no fun allowed in F1 anymore, no donuts, no flag carrying in the car, no mental celebrations?

So why not? Moto GP benefits greatly from it IMO, adds a lot of character and entertainment to the end, especially the crazy celebrations.

Is it that F1 is just too concerned with money these days and has gotten more straight laced because of it?

These days? Its been like that for years.

Some of the motogp celebrations have gotten out of hand and are heading to the other end of the scale. Some were good when they were original but they are just getting repetitive and boring now.
    Burnouts, carrying the flag, wheelies, yes.
    Watching Lorenzo take ages to stick his stupid Lorenzoland flag in circuit, no thanks(Its worse than Vettel's finger!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The money has very little to do with IMO, look at the money in NASCAR yet they still do it and it's not that uncommon for them to dent the bodywork either. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

While donuts and such are prohibited and punishable in F1, I would expect that there would be a reluctance to do such things nowadays what with trying to pick up debris on the tyres etc on the in lap to increase weight. It's a real shame we have no such displays of celebration though. Even the rally boys have had their wings similarily clipped.
    Moto GP is a breath of fresh air in this regard with burnouts etc but Lorenzo has all but ruined the effect in his relentless pursuit of trying to prove "anything Rossi can do I can do also"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

this is the real reason kimi left ;)
    F1 is corporate business, it would be like jumping around in the boardroom of the Apprentice when they won!, it wouldn't fit the image from the multinationals point of view. :(

hamilton did a few donuts off track and he got his wrists slapped :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭reiger

Been PC and the PR machines have sucked the life out of F1,drivers are made to be pr and commercial freindly there just robots there not allowed show the real character,Webber was the only man to show a bit of normalaty after winning in monte carlo,they just went mad.

• Advertisement

Bobby04 wrote: »
    While donuts and such are prohibited and punishable in F1, I would expect that there would be a reluctance to do such things nowadays what with trying to pick up debris on the tyres etc on the in lap to increase weight. It's a real shame we have no such displays of celebration though. Even the rally boys have had their wings similarily clipped.
    Moto GP is a breath of fresh air in this regard with burnouts etc but Lorenzo has all but ruined the effect in his relentless pursuit of trying to prove "anything Rossi can do I can do also"...

Yeah and the engines + gearboxes have to last multiple races. In 2010 would they even have enough fuel for donuts given they are reported to under fuel the cars and manage it in the race.

In F1 its terrible that when they get out of the car they aren't even aloud to run over to the mechanics/fans and celebrate with them. Like some mechanic is going to slip a lead weight into their pocket before the driver is weighed :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Yeah and the engines + gearboxes have to last multiple races. In 2010 would they even have enough fuel for donuts given they are reported to under fuel the cars and manage it in the race.

Sure most of that fuel-saving stuff is fancy team orders.

amacachi wrote: »
    Sure most of that fuel-saving stuff is fancy team orders.

I'm sure most of the stuff we hear over the radio is, but you would feel like some tool if you did a load of donuts then didn't have enough fuel to fill a sample bottle and got disqualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

me@ucd wrote: »
    hamilton did a few donuts off track and he got his wrists slapped :rolleyes:

Don't forget a lot of the big punishments to F1 drivers in the past have made them do road safety adverts etc, though you don't get to see many of them in Ireland. Schumacher had to make a good few back in the day, I think they are on youtube still.

The FIA think that drivers in F1 must set the standard for road users for some reason. Judging by some of the corner cutting, late braking and apex taking on the roads in Dublin, they might be right. :eek:

Hamilton was just being a tool in Australia with no daddy looking over his shoulder. You brake the local road laws and get caught, you pay the price. Though yes the Silverstone doughnut to the English fans should have been allowed. I'm not a fan of the FIA

Advertisement