Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving my skiing

Options
  • 12-10-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I live by a artificial snow slope and I am at present a Intermediate skiier,

Due to expenses I can go either
    a) 3 * 1 hour sessions over a month
    or
    b) 3 hour session once a month.

as it takes me about 30mins to warm up which would i be better doing to improve as quickly as possible?

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well 3hours a week, even with half the time lost to warming up, would still work out as more time on the slope. Either would be better than none though and if you have the time spare to get in any extra time then it will do you good.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve McQueen

thanks for the reply but I gave wrong info in my original message. Edited now Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

steve McQueen: First things first which slope?

If it is sandyford I am pretty sure they do 10-15 on and then a break through your session.

Personally I would thing a 3 hour session with 3, 10 - 15 minute breaks would give you a good time frame to work on your technique.

There is a ton of dry land (Off slope) exercises that you could do to help improve your skiing once off the slope.

I would aim to get a little more time on slope if possible as with all things perfect practice makes Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Get some inline skates and head out to howth.
    Inline skating is great for your skiing technique and also for building up the necessary muscles.

Personally Id head to Kilternan and do the free ski for 3/4 hours @ €25 or so. You could also throw in some lessons and then you get the balance of the 3/4 hour session as free ski...for free.

steve McQueen; If you are planning on heading to Kilternan drop me a PM. I am one of the vast pool of instructors up there and I can have a quick look and let you know what classes etc might best suit your standard.
    Let me know if you need anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 steve McQueen

I live in the UK, I use a real snow slope in West Yorkshire

Thanks for the replies guys, i guess a 3 hour session once a month would be more productive than 3 * 1 hr sessions spread over the month

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I live in the UK, I use a real snow slope in West Yorkshire

Ok - dont rub it in ;)

I am presuming it is Castelford you are using? Avoid Friday nights they have a banging Freestyle night CAS VEGAS and the place is rammers!

Spend your time focusing on specifics for set periods of time.

Early in the session work on posture and balance building up to movment on the skis and then linking it all together.

Advertisement